Hi folks !

The question I am raising is hypothetical, but, of serious implications
for the visually challenged in our land of chaotic traffic and scant
regard for pedestrians.

If a visually challenged person meets with an accident with a motor
vehicle while on a road and gets injured, can his claim for compensation
in the Motor Vehicles Claims Tribunal be challenged on the grounds that
he was not carrying a white cane at the time of the accident (even if
that indeed was the case)  ?  I know a lot of my friends, who may not be
totally blind, who do not use the white cane or rely on a sighted guide
while traversing on the narrow and congested roads of Kerala and am
curious to know the legal implications of such acts of bravado.

As per my understanding, the white cane is a universally recognized and
accepted symbol of visual disability and the Indian Motor Vehicles Act
even accords it the status of a traffic signal, with the onus on drivers
of motor vehicles to give right of way to a person brandishing it.  But,
can it be argued that not possessing it at the time of an accident
absolves the erring driver of any responsibility for the accident and
hence any claim for compensation from the blind person is not tenable ?

Looking forward to legal clarifications and personal experiences of such
situations...

Thanks and rgds

Kochi, KeralaS

+98 472 76 126