From: "George Abraham" <geo...@eyeway.org>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:31 PM
Subject: [AI] Voted today!

Hi Friends,

I casted  my vote for the first time this morning.  My polling booth was at
the Community Centre of the colony I live in.  The first task was to find my
name on the voters list.  This listing was not particularly well organised.
However with a little help of the officials my wife and I found our names.
There were lots of confusion between old lists and new lists.

Once we got our slips we proceeded to the actual polling area.  This booth
had no Braille enabled EVMs. Neither were there any Braille dummy sheets.
But then my wife and I cast our votes together and there was no real
problem.

After casting my vote,  I was interviewed by CNN IBN who also shot me this
morning right from the time I left my house.  The coverage will  be on TV
this evening.

I did mention that the Braille enabled EVMs was indeed a positive step, but
then the entire voting process can be made more inclusive if

1.  A head count of blind and visually impaired  people could be done when
voter lists and voter ID cards are reviewed and updated
2. Constituencies where VH voters live can be identified
3. Technology to be used to upgrade EVMs to be speach enabled. This would be
a one time investment unlike the need to  print braille labels every time
when a vote takes place
4.  Use computer data bases to varify voter lists on election day

I intend to meet up with the EC after the polls to propose long term changes
that would make the voting process inclusive. To my mind, this calls for
greater planning and a more wholistic vision.  This will not be possible
without greater participation of the stakeholders.

Regards,

George
George Abraham
CEO