Author:
jteh
Categories:
GeneralNews

Several months ago, we started
work to allow NVDA to read secure Windows screens
 such as the Windows logon screen, User Account Control (UAC) screens,
the Windows lock screen and the control+alt+delete screen. This work
stalled for
several months, but due to increasing requests from users (as well as
our own frustration), I finally revitalised the effort a couple of
weeks ago. I am
happy to announce that this work has now been
merged into the main NVDA development branch
, which means that it is now available for testing by users in
daily snapshots
. There are doubtless some issues still to be fixed, but this should
now be quite useable. This code also added an option to the General
Settings dialog
which allows you to configure the system to automatically start NVDA
after logging on to Windows. In addition, there is an option to
configure whether
NVDA will be used on the Windows logon screen. Disabling this will
still allow other Windows secure screens to be read while NVDA is
running.

Some additional info for those that care: The standard way to
configure assistive technology products to access secure Windows
screens on Windows Vista
and later is to use the Ease of Access framework. However, using a
service (which is the approach used for Windows XP) appears to work
quite well on Windows
Vista and later as well. Therefore, rather than
implementing support for Ease of Access in NVDA
, we just use the service for all supported versions of Windows for
now. (The documentation for Ease of Access is also incorrect in some
areas, which stops
us from implementing useable support right now.) We may consider
implementing support for Ease of Access later if we discover a
significant reason to do
this.

regards,

Ruchir