Date:20/07/2009 URL:
http://www.thehindu.com/2009/07/20/stories/2009072057920200.htm

Kerala

She takes the role as a big challenge

Photo: S. Mahinsha

Braving all odds: Abhinaya (right extreme) along with other artistes of the
Tamil film 'Nadodikal' in the city on Sunday. -

She has proved that being aurally challenged is not a problem in acting in
films. The 18-year-old Abhinaya is exited after acting in the first Tamil movie
'Nadodikal' that is running to full house in 168 centres across Tamil Nadu.

It was her mother Hemalatha who helped her to dub in the movie directed by
Samuthiriakkani. The actor, hailing from Tamil Nadu and now settled in
Hyderabad,
had appeared only in advertisement films before making her foray into the
tinsel world. Studying in 10th standard in a convent school in Hyderabad, she
can follow English too.

Samuthirakkani says he did not face any problem while instructing her. "I had
no problem to communicate with her. Her mother assisted us and she has done
an excellent role despite her handicap."

The film also stars Malayalam actor Ananya and Malaysia-based Shanthini. The
actors were in the city as part of screening of the film here. Ananya says
language was a problem in acting in Tamil movie. "I learnt Tamil in Madurai
slang and the dialogues were rendered to me in English during the first 15
days. Later on, I could pick up and talk in Tamil with ease."

Ananya says she had longed for this character and she had done justice to the
role.

"I am getting offers and looking forward for serious characters from good
banners. I love acting and people should accept the character," she says.

The director says they are trying to rope in British-Indian actor Dev Patel,
who starred in Oscar winning film "Slumdog Millionaire," for the Hindi remake
of 'Nadodikal.' The Telugu will have Ravi Teja in the lead role. The shooting
for the Kannada remake will commence in December with Puneet in the lead.

The film starring director-actor Sasikumar, Vijay Vasanth, Bharani and Ganja
Karuppu revolves around Karuna (Sasikumar), Chandran (Vijay Vasanth) and Pandian
(Bharani) - the three youths in a small town who share good friendship.

S. Anil Radhakrishnan