I am forwarding the reply to the group from Partho Bhowmik who has been
teaching us photography.It may be useful to others. Kanchan
----- Original Message -----
From: partho bhowmick
To: raghuraman
Cc: pamnani ; accessindia@accessindia.org.in ; Roopakshi Pathania ; Vedprakash
Sharma ; Subramani L
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 02:49
Subject: Fwd: Fw: [AI] seaking help in taking photos

Hi Raghu and to all those in the thread

Our direction of seeing is always guided by the direction of sound and touch.
Considering this as basic rule ur approach to take a pic of single individual
or group of people will be little different. It is simpler to take a pic of
individual, touch him and make him stand / sit and u go backward few steps,
make sure u are nearly in straight line with him. Ask him talk, by sensing the
direction sound u will be double sure that u are in straight line with him. A
combination of touch and touch and souch also give u some sense of his height.
This approach can be used with any background outdoor / indoor. In case of
group, ask them to get close for a photo shoot session, walk the left (first
person in the group) to right (last person in the group) and count the steps.
Say it is 10 steps, walk again and position urself at 5th step. Go backward,
for a group u have go more steps backward to cover the space oocuied by the
group. How much one has to go backword depends on the space to be covered and
focal lenght of the camera. To take pic of grouop of people do not use zoom,
set the camera to zero / miminum zoom. To cover a space of 10 steps one has to
go backward 6 to 7 steps at no zoom and focal lenght is 35 mm. This might be
bit techinical, most easy and simple ways is to postion urself based ur
jugement and ask a sight to see thru the camera. Based on his feedback u adjust
ur position. Go ahread with the shoot, but remimber ur step counts, final
adjustement and setting of the camera. Next time u can shoot without the help
of a sighted. As u click more u get familiar with different ur postion in
relation with the object, hereafter u need not always count steps to cover a
wider space in the pic. Now coming on the type of camera, i suggest a compact
digital camera of 8 MP is good to start. Latest camera can detect face (not
only simling one). U may try with mobile camera never mind if does not detect
face, after all technology can not replace our mind,  senses and our desire to
create. Write to me if u have any Qs, All the best, go ahead and click

Partho
www.blindwithcamera.org

 If u want a pic of single individual
U get a compact digital camera