From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of moiz
tundawala
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 2:49 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Fwd: Fw: University for the Disabled,the first
university of its kind

Dear Vetri and George sir,
I look at it slightly differently. A university which especially
caters to persons with disabilities offers a unique opportunity to get
us all on a common platform. Using the rights language may not be
desirable all the time, but the one big problem plaguing the
disability movement over the years has been the absence of unity. We
haven't really been able to present a strong joint front and make
political/economic assertions against the state and persons in
positions of power and authority. I was reading somewhere about the
civil rights movement in the United States. People may have had issues
with segregation, but then this helped the blacks to come together and
collectively make demands against the establishment.
Is an inclusive society as great a virtue as presented to be? I
sometimes wonder. Whom do we wish to be integrated with. Who defines
what the mainstream is? Are the disabled an inferior lot in
themselves? Arent our identities worth preserving? If religious and
linguistic minorities can have a right to establish and administer
educational institutions to preserve their language and culture,
shouldn't we be similarly be encouraging such institutions catering to
the particular needs of the disabled? Oh and just for everyone's
information, the news piece also says that only 50% of the seats will
be reserved for persons with disabilities. So the University is not
going to be as exclusive a domain for PWDs as you think it is.
These are just stray thoughts. You are free to disagree. I hope I make
some sense.
Regards,
Moiz.

--