Dear Vamshi.
1. PWD are eligible for promotion as s47(1) clearly states that they are not to
be denied promotion on the ground of disability alone. There have been cases on
this and denial of opportunities to sit for departmental exams and compete for
exams is not tenable in law. However, practically, if they do not select
disabled, very little can be done in law, except asking for marks obtained in
exam and interview.

2. reservation in promotion is another matter and section 47 of PWD act is not
interpreted to imply such reservation. However, it is being argued in some
cases that the word "Appointment" in section 33 of PWD act is wide enough to
include appointments by way of promotion and so 3% reservation contemplated
under it covers promotion as well. However, I am not optimistic about our
judiciary accepting this contention. Now it has ruled that promotion may be
denied to PWD on the ground of efficiency, safety and security of co-workers
and equipment as it would not be denial of promotion on the  ground of
disability alone.
So, giving statutory backing to reservation in promotion
is strongly called for.
And yes, Vashishth Jee, I fully agree with your view, in fact it is the summum
bonum of my views. However, the present approach of MSJE at least resolves the
ambiguity in calculating 3% and does away with calculation on the basis of
vacancies only in identified posts...
Regards

Rajesh Asudani

Assistant General Manager,
Reserve Bank of India
Nagpur
09420397185
O: 0712 2806676
Res: 0712 2591349
Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
John Milton