To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Need your assistance

plz stop mailing

--- On Thu, 12/11/09, Zujar Shabbir Kanchwala <zujarbri...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Zujar Shabbir Kanchwala <zujarbri...@gmail.com>
To: swatisinh...@gmail.com, accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Date: Thursday, 12 November, 2009, 2:10 PM
Hi,

I am partially blind and could read/write for myself in
bright light
when I was a student. When in school, I used to copy from
my
bench-partner as I could not read the black-board. My
teachers always
ensured that I share my bench with a good, regular and
attentive
student. At the time of exams, they allowed me to swap seat
with a
window-seater on producing doctor's certificate. People
looked at me
with a positive approach as I was a topper too. Things were
really
difficult when I started applying for a decent job.
Employers could
not understand how I would work and manage a corporate
life. Also, I
was unaware of screen-readers at that time. I went ahead
with whatever
little opportunities came my way without giving up. Today,
I am
well-placed. My colleagues look at me as a normal employee.
My family
and friends have always been supportive and trust me.
Sometimes, I
feel uneasy with people who direct me while walking on the
roads which
I am used to. This becomes confusing when different people
direct you
in their own ways. In short, I have experienced a positive
attitude
most of the times.

This is not the case with my nephew, Hozefa, who is totally
blind. He
and his parents have faced a tonnes of difficulties
admitting him to a
normal school in Kurla. Finally, they had to admit him to a
school in
Mumbai, around 60 minutes travel by bus. Not only that,
when they
shifted to Kalyan, none of the schools were ready to admit
him to
standard nineth and he ended up doing his SSC privately.
His college
life is different and better. A little difficulty finding a
scribe.
His Commerce coaching class is really co-operative and
positive
towards him and he shall appear for his 12th board in March
2010.

Looking at all this, I find it really difficult to
generalize people's
attitude towards visually challenged minorities. Though I
believe that
people are becoming more inclusive, thanks to our visually
challenged
achiever friends who have shown that vision cannot be an
obstacle if
one decides and is dedicated to lead life with dignity.

On 11/12/09, Swati Sinha <swatisinh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello List, Good morning!
>

> I am writing an article on "Attitude towards visually
impaired", so please
> feel free to share your opinion and experience. Your
assistance will help me
> to create a real piece.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> With regards,
>
> Swati sinha

with
> the subject unsubscribe.
>
> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any
other changes, please

Best Regards,
Zujar Shabbir Kanchwala...

Hello : 9769371152

To change your subscription to digest mode or make any
other changes, please visit the list home page at