hi, In the world of windows,The INI file format is a common format for
configuration files. INI files are simple text files with a basic
structure.
They are commonly associated with Microsoft Windows, but are also used
on other platforms. The use of the "INI file" has been deprecated in
Windows and corresponding data should be placed in the
registry.
The name "INI file" comes from the
filename extension
 usually used, ".INI", that stands for "initialization". Sometimes
files using the INI file format will use a different extension, such
as ".CFG", ".conf",
or ".TXT".

look here for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file