From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of rahul cherian
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 11:45 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] KPCC cell for the differently abled

hello pavan,

I believe that people with disability will be a vote bank if we can organise
ourselves because there are about 10 crore people with disability in India
alone. Till we organise ourselves, we will have to rely on the charity model
where we beg for our rights and not a rights based model where we can demand
our rights.

I agree with your approach of building confidence in people and i think this
can be done not only by being service oriented and helping people but also
being more active in mainstream activities, whether it be in professions,
business or otherwise. Mainstream society has to look at people with
disability as being equal to them and not as a community that wants
sympathy. We should be fearless and challenge perceptions of people by
excelling in whatever we do. I feel that mainstream society has not had
the opportunity to interact enough with people with disability who are not
stereotypes. We have to put our best foot forward to break the stereotypes.

I think that meeting Mr. Jayaprakash Narayan and other leaders will be very
useful. They must know that there is a sizable number of persons
with disabilities who are interested in politics and indeed in joining
politics. I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

Best regards,

Rahul

2010/1/25 l pavan <l.pavan....@gmail.com>

> hello list members!
> to some extent i have followed the discurtion on above mentioned issue.
>  as one of you said blind may not have a vote bank.
> but it should not deprive us from getting in to politics.
> as of now we may not establish a new party.
> but we may slowly buildup confidence in people by actively involving
> in various activities that benifit people.
> in this regards i personally we may think of approaching dr jaya
> prakash narayan.
> who started loksatta(with new politics for new generation)this is my
> personal feeling iam sorry if i hurt
> --
> l.pavan("help ever & hurt never")

received this email by error,  please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Bank accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.