From: "Dave Mack" <dcma...@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 1:07 PM
To: <n...@freelists.org>
Subject: [nvda] F.Y.I. - Apple Touch Screen for the Blind

I know it is off topic and violating the new rules but I think this is great news! Grandpa Dave in California

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Commends Apple
for Including VoiceOver on iPad

Baltimore, Maryland (January 28, 2010): The National Federation of
the Blind, the nation's leading consumer organization of blind
persons, today commended Apple Inc., for including its VoiceOver
application on its latest device, the iPad, which was unveiled
yesterday.  VoiceOver is a screen access application that uses
text-to-speech technology in conjunction with the device's
touch-screen interface so that blind people can independently operate
the device.  VoiceOver is also integrated into Apple's Mac operating
system and is included on the iPhone 3GS and recent models of the iPod Touch.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "The National Federation of the Blind commends Apple for
including the VoiceOver screen access application on its
highly-anticipated new device, the iPad.  Blind consumers, like our
sighted friends and colleagues, will be able to share in the
experience of using this new device from the moment we take it out of
the box.  By integrating accessibility into its products, Apple is
setting an example that we believe the rest of the electronics
industry should follow.  Furthermore, the fact that Apple has
successfully integrated a screen access solution with its
touch-screen technology demonstrates that touch screens need not be a
barrier to the use of electronic devices by the blind."

On September 22, 2009, the National Federation of the Blind presented
Apple with a special award to honor the company for making the iPhone
accessible.

###

n...@freelists.org
http://www.freelists.org/list/nvda