from
http://prashant.myehome.in/blog/?p=50

The new Multimedia Print Reader – A review

In the World Book Fair 2010, there is great interest and euphoria in the media and general public about the Multimedia Print Reader – MPR a pen like device which claims to convert print books to talking books and also has lot of usefulness for the blind. I had a look at this device and these are my impressions.

I have seen this device and talked to the company representatives. I am visiting the Book Fair because our DAISY Forum of India has a stall there and got the opportunity to have a look at this MPR pen and also at Infibeam.com’s Pi about which I will write soon.

Let me try to explain how this device works. It is a pen like device though much broader and bigger. It has buttons for switching it ON and OFF and also has buttons for language selection. It has an in-built battery which can be charged with a mobile phone type charger. It has a USB port for PC connectivity. It has 2 GB internal memory. It is supplied with earphones and the charger and you get one year warranty on the device.

If you decide to buy this device for Rs. 5600 plus taxes, you will get a set of complimentary books. The pen will have MP3 files containing recording of all these books. It may have recording of the same book in more than one language such as English and Hindi. For using this pen, you can switch it on, select a language button and then place the tip of the pen on the small dark circles on the page. It will scan & read the code in that dark circle and then play the corresponding audio file from its memory. You can listen to it from the internal speaker or attach the headphone you get with it or connect your PC speakers.

You will have to place the pen on the next circle and you will be able to listen to its recording. You can press the other language button on the pen and if the publisher has provided alternate language recording in the pen, you will listen to the other language narration even though you may be having a different language book. I mean to say the pen can play Hindi files which contain a translated version of your English book.

The pen manufacturer claims that they are collaborating with more and more publishers for bringing out books which have these MPR (encoded marks) on the pages. So, when you come across any new book in the market which has the MPR logo on its cover page, you can be sure that it can be listened to with the pen. You will have to buy the hard copy and download its audio recordings from the publisher’s website and copy them to your pen. For downloading the recordings, you will need a password which will be the pen's serial number. After having loaded the new files in the pen you will be able to use it with the new book.

Some of the interesting applications of this technology can be
- A child can learn to pronounce new words in the book by listening to them
- A child can listen to descriptions of images in the book in different languages - A person reading an English book can listen to its Hindi translations for better understanding - A dictionary or an encyclopaedia can contain pronunciations of difficult words.

The success of this technology depends upon acceptance of this MPR concept by more and more publishers. The users will have to buy the hard copies of the new books and also will have to download and transfer files to the pen. Therefore it requires use of computer and the internet by the users.

As far as usefulness for blind persons is concerned, I don’t think it is a great device. Using this pen will be very difficult as the blind person will not be able to locate these marks on the pages easily. Further, the blind user will not be able to navigate to a particular chapter or paragraph quickly. He will have to read and check out many pages and paragraphs before he gets to his desired point in the book. Blind persons will be very happy if they just get the audio files of the books which they can listen to on their MP3 players or computers.

One blind friend is of the opinion that this pen may be useful for the blind parents for teaching their sighted children. May be, but I cannot think of any more usefulness of this device for the blind.

The manufacturer contacts details are:
Aadarsh Pvt. Ltd.
106,107,108, Sector-I,
Govindpura Industrial Area,