Date:07/03/2010 URL:
http://www.thehindu.com/2010/03/07/stories/2010030754401200.htm

Link: Front Page
A device to help them speak

Shyam Ranganathan

ARM-based processor in AVAZ in the service of people with cerebral palsy
- Photo: S.R. Raghunathan
WORDS TO VOICE:A student at Vidyasagar tries his hand at the device.
CHENNAI: An ARM-based processor in an iPod can help play music; in a Nokia N97,
it can connect to the cellular network; inside a Nintendo DS, the processor can
make games come to life. Last Thursday, an ARM-based processor in a device
called AVAZ helped Rohit Jain speak a full sentence for the first time in his
life.

Rohit has cerebral palsy and cannot communicate orally. Like Santosh, who
studies at Vidya Sagar [formerly Spastic Society of India, Chennai], and uses a
chart to point at 'H' and then at 'I' to greet visitors. The two have also used
devices like 'Link,' which uses a speech synthesiser to voice out sentences
they type on a keyboard, or 'Pencentra' which converts their scribbled words
into voice.

Rajul Padmanabhan, director, Vidya Sagar, says there are more sophisticated
devices which cost around Rs. 3 lakh and which can help the kids voice their
thoughts with speech synthesisers and accessible input systems, but there is no
maintenance support available in India.

So when Vidya Sagar co-hosted 'Silent Revolution,' a conference on Augmentative
and Alternative Communication (AAC), together with the IIT-Madras, engineers
were encouraged to look at developing an indigenous Voice Output Communication
Aids (VOCA). Enter Invention Labs [www.inventionlabs.in], a company started by
alumni of the IIT-Madras, and with support from professors of the institute,
AVAZ began to take shape. "The availability of low-cost, low-power ARM-based
processors and open source software was key to creating AVAZ at 10 per cent of
the cost of similar devices available abroad. Even this cost is a function of
the number of units produced and can come down as we go to mass production,"
says Ajit Narayanan, a co-founder of the company, who came back to India after
a stint in the United States in a technology company.

The user generates each sentence by scanning across letters and groups of
letters on a touch-screen interface. A particular string is chosen by pausing
the scanning process by touching the screen. Non-touch inputs are also
recognised by connecting switches like ADITI (for motion sensing) or a
mouse-shaped device (for tactile inputs).

At the end of the message, the constructed sentence is voiced out with a
text-to-speech synthesiser. Ready-made templates are also stored for frequently
used sentences, and the strings at each stage are also arranged based on the
frequency of occurrence.

Kalpana Rao, a volunteer at Vidya Sagar, says AVAZ provides the children with
an opportunity to communicate among themselves and with others. "With a chart,
it is difficult for children in wheelchairs, say, to point out each letter to
the other. When the words are voiced out, communication is much simpler."

But she reckons that the device is not perfect. "We want full touch screen as
those who can process information faster will be put off by the slow scanning
process. They can directly point at the screen and form the words. We also want
a local language interface."

Ajit estimates that adding a full touch screen interface will increase the cost
by around Rs.10,000. "But our software built using open source tools has been
designed taking into account the frequency patterns derived from this model of
use. We will need to change our software to reflect the full touch screen
operations."

He also stresses the importance of field testing the product. "After the
IIT-Madras developed ADITI [a patented choice-activating device which uses
motion data], they also gave us a number of ideas which we incorporated into
their first piece of code. But only after coming to Vidya Sagar, did we find
that we had to rewrite the entire software to suit the children's needs," says
Ajit.

As for local language support, he says the stumbling block is the lack of good
text-to-speech synthesisers on which the company is working. Having obtained a
Rs. 10-lakh grant from the Department of Science and Technology to develop the
current 'beta version' of AVAZ, the company is planning to apply for a further
grant to get the other suggestions made by Vidya Sagar fulfilled. This will
also help the company, as potentially all those lacking verbal communication
can use the product, says company CEO Aswin Chandrasekaran. While those who can
afford it will consider it a worthwhile investment, the company, along with
Vidya Sagar, will look for potential donors for those who cannot afford it.