Hi all,

Though the IBA circular of November 2008 says that all the banking facilities
should be also extended to those visually impaired people who use thumb
impression, but even open minded banks/managers have stated they do not have
manual or technological capacity to verify thumb print on a issued cheque. So
they cannot issue cheque book to people who do not sign.

One of our recent callers from Bahadurgarh, has account in SBI. Fortunately his
manager was open enough to patiently listen to him and then to us on phone, he
also read the circulars. Expressing the same incapacity, the manager asked us
if there anybody so enjoying a cheque book facility, he would like to learn how
is it works.

So we want to know the people among us or outside our group who has been given
cheque book facility with:

  1.. permission to use only their thumb impression to authenticate their
cheques,
  2.. and their bank official does not counter signs it to validate it.

Please get back to us on or off the list on the below contacts.

Thanks and regards,

Pranay Gadodia | Programme Manager
Project Eyeway - A knowledge resource for living a fuller life with vision loss
C/o Score Foundation, 17/107, Vikram Vihar, Basement, Lajpatnagar 4, New Delhi
110024, INDIA.

Helpdesk:+91-11-460 70 380 (Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm)
Office Phone: +91 - 11 - 26472581 / 2
Email: helpd...@eyeway.org
Website: www.eyeway.org
disability bill at: