Dear Lilya,

XRCVC started the work of publishers contact three years ago and since the
Daisy forum of India (DFI) has formed we approach publishers as DFI’s
publisher’s contact initiative and ask for e-text of books for converting
them into accessible DAISY format.

We (DFI) have signed agreements with few publishers including good
mainstream publishers like Oxford, SAGE, Cambridge, etc.  The agreement is
clearly mentioning that permission is for converting these books into DAISY
and will be distributed only to the print disabled persons through DFI
member organizations.  One of the achievement for XRCVC and DFI was to bring
Bookshare in India and now very actively DFI and Bookshare are contacting
publishers and got good success.

To read more about this visit http://www.daisyindia.org/for_publishers.htm

Also visit http://www.xrcvc.org/print_access.php

Regards,

Prashant Naik

Project Manager, XRCVC

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Roopakshi Pathania
<r_akshi_...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don’t know about the particular agreement you speak of, but I have
> received electronic copies of books from publishers and authors for my
> studies based on the simple and rather obvious understanding that I have
> purchased a hard copy of the said book, and that I won’t distribute copies
> of the same. Some authors gave me the electronic version even without
> demanding a proof of purchase.
> Of course not all publishers were willing to do this.
>
> The only agreement I know of is the one that publishers make with a
> disability office attached usually to an educational institution. The person
> in charge of this arrangement is suppose to provide a copy of the book to
> the student(s)
> As far as I know this isn’t very common in India or many other countries.
> Perhaps XRCVC from Mumbai may be doing something in this regard.
>
> Regards

disability bill at: