To: <keralavis...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:38 PM
Subject: [AI] Fw: Court Case

----- Original Message ----- From: Ashish Fernandes, Greenpeace India
To: moothimo...@gmail.com
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:46 PM
Subject: Court Case

           Dear krishnan m. moothimoola,

TATA has filed a law suit against Greenpeace for Rs 10 crore because of our TATA v/s Turtles game, highlighting the threat the Dhamra port poses to the turtles and other wildlife. [1] Greenpeace stands by its actions and will present its case in court on August 12.

TATA is desperately trying to silence all opposition to their port in Dhamra, Orissa. The port will start functioning next month even as the Supreme Court’s Central Empowered Committee deliberates on its violation of the Forest Conservation Act. TATA is simply trying to divert attention from the core issue - the dangers their port poses to coastal biodiversity.

There are over 300 more ports planned across the country’s coastline. Many of these are in and around eco-sensitive areas. You have already written to Jairam Ramesh asking him to strengthen the Coastal Regulation Zone notification to protect our coasts. We need to get more voices to impress upon him the urgency of this issue.

Can you forward this mail to your friends and family asking them to write to Jairam Ramesh?

Ask Jairam Ramesh to save our coasts. Click here to write to him.
           Dear supporter,

The Tatas have filed a law suit against Greenpeace for Rs 10 crore because of our TATA v/s Turtles game, highlighting the threat the Dhamra port poses to the turtles and other wildlife [1]. Greenpeace stands by its actions and will present its case in court on August 12.

The Tatas are trying to divert attention from their port’s impacts, ignoring the concerns of 150,000 people, scientists, politicians and NGOs. The port has bent every law in the book, threatening turtles, mangroves, crocodiles and other species [2].

Over 300 more ports are being planned across mainland India. Many will be in and near eco-sensitive areas. We cannot let more Dhamras happen and the Minister of Environment and Forest Jairam Ramesh needs to act.

Can you write to Jairam Ramesh asking him to protect our coasts?

           http://greenpeace.in/turtle/no-more-dhamras

21,262 people have already written to him. More letters will help make him realise that he cannot take the issue lightly.

A lot of these new ports are planned in or near mangroves, fish breeding grounds and the habitats of marine turtles and other vulnerable species.

In 1991 the Government had come up with a Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) notification meant to protect our coasts. But over the years this notification has been weakened to suit vested interests.

To prevent future Dhamras this notification needs to be strengthened. Minister Jairam Ramesh can do this by inserting a clause which prohibits construction of new ports and expansion of old ones within 25km radius of eco-sensitive, CRZ I areas.

Ask Minister Jairam Ramesh to save India’s coastal spaces before it’s too late:

           http://greenpeace.in/turtle/no-more-dhamras

           Thanks a billion!

           Ashish Fernandes
           Oceans Campaigner
           Greenpeace India

           Sources:
           1. Tata sue NGO over turtle game, DNA, 18th July,  2010

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_tatas-sue-ngo-over-turtle-game_1411245

2. Wildlife activists move Supreme Court, The Times of India, 10th Oct, 2010

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/City/Bhubaneswar/Wildlife-Activists-Move-Supreme-Court-/articleshow/5110555.cms
           Greenpeace on the web
We're also on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube - join our friends list.

           Why have I received this mail?
Either because you signed up as a Greenpeace India cyber-activist or a friend forwarded this mail to you.

           How do I subscribe?
           To receive regular updates from Greenpeace India, sign up here.

           How do I unsubscribe?
To stop receiving messages on how you can help the planet click here.

           How can I help more?
You can help by forwarding this message to everyone on your email list.

           Where do I send feedback?
Please send all feedback to ocamp...@greenpeace.org Greenpeace India, #60 Wellington Street, Richmond Town, Bangalore 560025

disability bill at: