From: "sandesh" <sandeshnaray...@nerdshack.com>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:32 AM
Subject: [AI] Disabled teacher shunted to non-existent school

Source:
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOICH/2010/08/03&PageLabel=1&EntityId=Ar00101&ViewMode=GIF&GZ=T

Disabled teacher shunted to non-existent school

Shalini Umachandran | TNN

Chennai: M Krishnaveni was ecstatic when she got a promotion last month. The
disabled middle school teacher was promoted as a secondary grade teacher and
posted to Senthurai Government Higher Secondary School in Sivaganga. But, to
her horror, she found out there was no such village or school in Sivaganga.

"The counselling took place on July 12 in Chennai and I was given an
order to join duty at Senthurai Government Higher Secondary School in
Sivaganga district on August 2," says Krishnaveni, who currently teaches
classes six to eight at Government Higher Secondary School in Usilampatti in
Madurai. "The next day, I went to Sivaganga and the chief education officer
(CO) told me that there was no such village or school there."

In Chennai, the school department told her they needed a written note
from the Sivaganga CO saying his district had no such village or school
before they could change her appointment order. "The CO refused to do so,
and I am in a fix. Everyone else who went for counselling has joined duty on
Monday," she says.

Both Perambalur and Dindigul districts have places called Senthurai, and
Krishnaveni still doesn't know where she is supposed to report for duty. "I
went to Dindigul district but the CO said my appointment order said
Sivaganga district and refused to let me join," she says.

Krishnaveni, who was disabled by polio when she was a child and uses
crutches, went to work at the Usilampatti school as usual on Monday, and was
told that she could continue there only till the end of the month. "The
authorities said I would have to write a letter saying I want to forego my
promotion if I want to continue at the Usilampatti school, or I have to
leave," she says. "I really don't know what to do."

Krishnaveni's husband spent most of Monday at the office of the Director
of School Education trying to resolve the problem. "They just told him to
wait for a while," she says.

For Krishnaveni, the promotion means a raise of Rs 1,000 and a chance to
teach classes up to X. "I did my BA English and then B Ed through
correspondence so that I would be eligible for this promotion," she says. "I
was so happy when I got the order, but now it has turned into a nightmare."

Officials said they were looking into the issue. "We give people seven
days' joining time, so she doesn't have to worry. If there is a vacancy in
the school she is currently in, we will promote her there itself."

disability bill at:

disability bill at: