INDEFINITE DHARNA IN FRONT OF DR. M.S. GILL'S RESIDENCE

TUESDAY, 10TH AUGUST
AT 12, MOTHER TERESA ROAD
TIME: 11 A.M.

DISABLED ATHLETES AND ACTIVISTS FROM ACROSS THE COUNTRY WILL PROTEST AGAINST
THE BLATANT DISCRIMINATION AGAINST DISABLED SPORTSPERSONS

Frustrated and angry with the continued apathy of the Sports Minister towards
disability sports, hundreds of disabled athletes and activists from all over
India will gather in Delhi tomorrow.

Under the banner of Disabled Rights Group (DRG), the disabled athletes and
activists will GHERAO the residence of Dr. MS Gill. Address: 12, Mother Teresa
Road. Date: Tuesday, 10th August (tomorrow). Time: 11 am sharp.

After taking over the venue, the disabled athletes and activists will begin an
INDEFINITE DHARNA outside Sports Minister, Dr. Gill's residence.

If Dr. Gill or his babus call the police, we will NOT move on our own or offer
court arrest. If Dr. Gill or the police want us to be moved, the only way they
can do it is either by listening to us and fulfilling our demands OR by using
force on us.

"We have written enough letters to Dr. Gill. The guy is least bothered.
Disability sports are not on his radar screen! He has left it to his Babus and
they are all hands in gloves with PCI, the extremely corrupt sports
federation," said Javed Abidi, Convenor, DRG.

The demands being raised are as follows:

(1) Why was ARJUNA AWARD denied to Prashant Karmakar when he is clearly a
better disabled athlete than Jagseer Singh?

(2) Why was DRONACHARYA AWARD not given to Ramesh Tikaram, Coach for Badminton
and Athletics and himself a disabled person?

(3) Recently 6 sportspersons were appointed as BRAND AMBASSADORS for the
upcoming Commonwealth Games. How come no disabled athlete was selected? For
those who may not know, disability sports are now an integral part of the
Commonwealth Games (since Melbourne 2006). When the Games take place in
October, as many as 45 medals will be at stake under disability sports. Medals
won or lost will impact the Nation's Medal Tally! So, Dr. Gill can afford to
neglect disability sports because of his ignorance or bias, but the Nation
can't!

(4) Why is proper Coaching not being provided to our elite disabled athletes
like Prashant Karmakar in Swimming and Farman Basha in Power Lifting who really
are our only two medal hopes in the upcoming Commonwealth Games? Same is the
neglect towards our Table Tennis players and Athletes.

(5) What happened to the more than Rs. 13 crores that was earmarked for
disability sports vis a vis Commonwealth Games? Where has all the money gone?

Please lend your voice to this cause. We need all the support that we can get.

With best regards,

Dorodi Sharma
Programme Manager

National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP)
A -77, South Extension Part II
New Delhi - 110 049, India
Tel.: 91-11-26265647 / 26265648
Telefax:011-26265649