From: Mahesh Chandrasekar [mailto:advocacy.cbrfo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:51 AM
To: CBR Forum: Admin
Subject: January 2011 - CBR Forum - E- News Bulletin

CBR Forum E-News Bulletin
- A Compilation of News, Information and Updates

January 2011 - CBR Forum - E- News Bulletin

First issue: Oct 2007, Current Issue No. #41

Networking, Advocacy and Lobbying - in promoting the rights of persons with
disabilities and enhance the potential to exercise these rights.
Compiled by:
B. Mary and C. Mahesh,
advocacy.cbrfo...@gmail.com<mailto:advocacy.cbrfo...@gmail.com>

A: INDIA

A1: INDIA: Census 2011 and Disability

Enumerating the disabled

Two important improvements have been made to the 2011 census questionnaire.
One, the question on disability has been moved up the list from the previous
fifteenth position to the ninth, one place ahead of the question on mother
tongue. This change, we hope, will ensure that the question will not be missed
out either by the enumerator or the respondent. Two, the categories of
disabilities have been expanded from five to eight. For the first time people
with mental illness and multiple disabilities have been brought in. Those with
disabilities, besides the seven listed, can be accounted for under the eighth
category titled "other disabilities." These changes will make the enumeration
more inclusive. For the last one year we have interacted with Dr. C.
Chandramouli, Registrar General and Census Commissioner, and he has been
exceptionally receptive to our concerns.
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/interview/article1075383.ece

Advertisement to encourage disabled to get enumerated

In a bid to encourage the disabled to come forward and get enumerated, the
Census Commission will start airing a 40-second TV spot from the first week of
February.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Advertisement-to-encourage-disabled-to-get-enumerated/738414

Advertisement to encourage disabled to get enumerated
Click to download the 1-page Handbill
http://www.cbrforum.in/docs/Handbill_on_Census_2011%20Venky%20Final.doc

This Census, help disability come out of the closet

The framing of policies by the Indian government to provide adequate facilities
and equal opportunities to persons with disabilities for the next decade is now
dependent on every Indian family's willingness to acknowledge their existence
during Census 2011.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_this-census-help-disability-come-out-of-the-closet_1497941

Enumerating the disabled

It was only in 2001 that Independent India began a comprehensive Census
enumeration of people with disability. Now, as the 2011 census is set to
commence in February, how do you view this in the context of the struggle for
establishing the rights of the disabled?
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/interview/article1075383.ece

Millions of disabled missing in census, govt vows to get headcount right

NEW DELHI: This time when the enumerator comes around, he'll ask about
disability, too. A question on disability was added in the 2001 census
questionnaire for the first time since Independence; however, being a
last-minute addition, placed after six months of rigorous campaigning by
activists, it was incomplete. There was no awareness on the issue among
enumerators or respondents either. Consequently, the figure derived, 21
million, isn't convincing. Enumeration for Census 2011 begins on February 9;
this time, hopefully, they'll get it right.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Millions-of-disabled-missing-in-census-govt-vows-to-get-headcount-right/articleshow/7300141.cms

During Census, don't hide if you have any disability, say NGOs

One should not hide his or her disabilities while being questioned for Census
2011, as the drive is meant to help the government plan policies, allocate
adequate resources and provide support services for those with disabilities,
stated Ashirwad NICPA (North India Cerebral Palsy Association) - a NGO which
works with disabled people.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/during-census-dont-hide-if-you-have-any-disability-say-ngos/742203/

Census 2011 and Disability Making an 'Invisible Minority' visible

Numbers are an interesting thing. More often than not, we do not even realize
their significance or their impact on our lives. When policy makers of the
country sit down to allocate resources for issues, they go strictly by the
book. If there is no authentic data on the percentage of population living with
disability, resource allocation will not be proportional. For nearly 50 years
after Independence, there was no authentic data on the percentage of population
with disability. And therefore, disability was nowhere in the Nation's radar
screen.
http://www.morungexpress.com/leftwing/60703.html

Disability moves up Census priority list

Sitting in one of the rows, Kshama Kakade Kaushik, a disabled rights activist
from Ajmer, made a mental note of meeting the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan's block
resource teacher in order to sensitize her about the enumeration of the
disabled in the 2011 Census questionnaire.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Disability-moves-up-Census-priority-list/738069

Enumerators undergo special training for Census 2011

Press Trust of India / New Delhi January 26, 2011, 18:21 IST
Enumerators tasked with collecting information about the country's population
are being trained to ask questions on sensitive issues, like disability and
gender, when they knock on the doors for the second phase of the XVth Census
next month.
http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/enumerators-undergo-special-training-for-census-2011/123545/on

NGO sensitises census enumerators on disability issue

New Delhi, Jan 15 (IANS) In an effort to sensitize enumerators on the
disability issue so that they ask the newly-included question in this regard
'responsibly' and record the answer 'faithfully', an NGO here held a
consultation with enumerators of the country's north zone Saturday.
http://www.sify.com/news/ngo-sensitises-census-enumerators-on-disability-issue-news-national-lbpukhahdga.html

Census to count the 'other' gender

NEW DELHI: Census 2011 will for the first time include other as an option for
the question on gender should respondents choose to identify themselves as
neither male nor female.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Census-to-count-the-other-gender/articleshow/7357668.cms

J-K govt to spread awareness on census among disabled

Srinagar, Jan 4 (PTI) Ahead of the second phase of census in the Kashmir
Valley, the administration today sought the support of disabled persons to
create awareness among their community about importance of the population count
exercise.
http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4764492

Enumeration of disabled in JK going on: Govt

Jammu, Jan 16: The Social Welfare Minister, Sakina Itoo today said a fresh
survey had been started to enumerate the physically challenged in J&K.
 Addressing a function organized by Special Olympics Bharat-J&K under aegis of
Sahyog India, here, she said, the functionaries of Social Welfare Department
had been pressed into service to conduct the survey in their respective areas.
http://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/2011/Jan/17/enumeration-of-disabled-in-jk-going-on-govt-20.asp

A2: INDIA: New Law on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

Crisis hits panel on new disability law - Tribune News Service

Crisis today hit the government-appointed committee constituted to draft the
new disability law, with one of its seven disabled members quitting in protest
against the committee's indifference to its mandate. Others have threatened to
follow suit if their voices were ignored.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20101224/main5.htm

Specially abled persons protest against delay of new Disability Law

New Delhi, Jan.1 (ANI): Various specially abled groups organised a candle light
demonstration outside the Union Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul
Wasnik's residence on Friday to protest against the delay in drafting of the
new Disability Law.
http://nehttp://news.oneindia.in/2011/01/01/speciallyabled-persons-protest-against-delay-of-newdisabil.html<http://nehttp/news.oneindia.in/2011/01/01/speciallyabled-persons-protest-against-delay-of-newdisabil.html>

Comments on the Draft New Law by DAF, Kolkata

Click on the following link to read the comments made by DAF, Kolkata
http://www.cbrforum.in/docs/Comment%20on%20Draft%20Law%20DAF%2025.1.11%20FinalF.doc

News Legislation to Replace PWD Act after Committee gives its Report in March

Shri Wasnik Inaugurates Seminar on Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the
Commonwealth. The Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment, Shri Mukul
Wasnik has said that a new Legislation will be brought very soon to replace
Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full
Participation) Act, 1995 (PwD Act), which would be suitably aligned with the UN
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
http://www.pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=69070

Article on Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act working draft

>From its very conception, the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act has been
>fraught with controversies; quite a surprising situation given that most
>factions fighting for disability rights in the nation supposedly desire to
>present a united front.
http://news.oneindia.in/feature/2011/01-04-rigts-of-person-disability-act-draft-part1.html

A3: INDIA: Verdicts

SC warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act

The Supreme Court today warned of contempt proceedings against states which
fail to provide sufficient special access facilities for physically challenged
persons as mandated under the Persons with Disabilities Act.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/126831/sc-warns-states-contempt-action.html

Land to Disabled: Cover all categories of disabilities: HC

Chandigarh, January 25, In a significant judgment, the Punjab and Haryana High
Court has directed the expansion of policy for providing housing, accommodation
or land to the disabled to cover all categories of persons with disabilities as
defined by the 1995 Equal Opportunities Act.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110126/cth2.htm

Mental illness can be included under 'disability'

CHENNAI: Mental illness or retardation can be brought within the term
'disability' under sections of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal
Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act 1995 (PWD Act),
the Madras High Court has said.
http://www.hindu.com/2010/12/28/stories/2010122861840100.htm

Mental disability no ground to sack employees: HC

CHENNAI: Slamming a government department for unfairly sacking an office
assistant on grounds of "mental disability", the Madras high court has ordered
payment of all service and monetary benefits to the victim.
Read more:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Mental-disability-no-ground-to-sack-employees-HC/articleshow/7175522.cms#ixzz19NgkW67i

India doctors to examine 'euthanasia' woman

India's Supreme Court has directed three doctors to examine the medical
condition of a woman who has been in a vegetative state since 1973.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12272915

Is mercy killing within ambit of Article 21?

The Supreme Court on Monday decided to examine whether euthanasia will come
within the ambit of Article 21 (right to life and liberty) of the Constitution.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article1121953.ece

Plea to let deaf drive: HC reserves order on PIL

NEW DELHI: Hopes of more than five crore hearing-impaired persons will be
pinned on the Delhi high court this year after HC on Monday wrapped up hearings
into a PIL, filed by National Association of the Deaf, that seeks driving
licences for the deaf.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Plea-to-let-deaf-drive-HC-reserves-order-on-PIL/articleshow/7213340.cms#ixzz1BMPfl7W4

Governmennt gives approval for TVS modified scooters for the disabled

CHENNAI: The new year brings a small parcel of relief for the differently abled
who face problems in getting their modified two-wheeler vehicles registered
with the Regional Transport Office (RTO).
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/Governmennt-gives-approval-for-TVS-modified-scooters-for-the-disabled-/articleshow/7263071.cms#ixzz1An31Ahnj

Partially disabled man wins battle for job

MUMBAI: A partially handicapped man, who was considered ineligible for the job
he was aspiring for, fought for his right and won.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Partially-disabled-man-wins-battle-for-job/articleshow/7337098.cms#ixzz1C1nNtsd1

Builders' insurers must cover disabled workers: HC

In a recent order, the Bombay high court held that workers rendered disabled in
an accident at a construction site were liable to be compensated by the
builder's insurer.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_builders-insurers-must-cover-disabled-workers-hc_1489071

Disabled man sees light at the end of legal tunnel

NEW DELHI: Vimal Mehta, who suffers from a physical disability, hopes 2011 will
be different from the past decade-and-a-half, and that he might see speedy
resolution of his case which is pending before the Delhi high court.
India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Disabled-man-sees-light-at-the-end-of-legal-tunnel/articleshow/7208414.cms#ixzz19xs78o9U

Bombay HC looks to make govt disabled friendly

MUMBAI: At a unique hearing on Saturday, the Bombay high court got down to
tackling the issue of implementation of the disability laws in letter and in
spirit.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Bombay-HC-looks-to-make-govt-disabled-friendly/articleshow/7294493.cms

A4: INDIA: Education

A father's struggle to get his son educated

New Delhi:  On Monday Delhi government reaffirmed that private schools will
have to follow guidelines for reserving 25 percent of total seats for
economically weaker section (EWS) and will act if complaints about
non-compliance are brought before it.
Read more at:
http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/a-father-s-struggle-to-get-his-son-educated-81972?cp

DU gets first elected disabled Academic Council member

"Disability as academics is not talked of. Topics like gender and caste have
found their way into syllabi, but disability as a discipline has not," says the
first elected disabled member of the Delhi University's Academic Council.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/du-gets-first-elected-disabled-academic-council-member/733528/

Disabled boy denied forms for nursery

NEW DELHI: In another incident of schools flouting admission rules as well as
the Right to Free and Compulsory Education Act 2009, five unaided private
schools of East Delhi refused to provide application forms for admission to
nursery class to a physically challenged kid. Left with no option, the father
typed his own application form and mailed it via speed post and lodged written
complaints to the chief minister, education minister, directorate of education
(DoE) and deputy director of the zone, among others on Monday.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Disabled-boy-denied-forms-for-nursery/articleshow/7307128.cms#ixzz1BMBGDlQm

Are disabled getting a raw deal from varsity?

LUCKNOW: Has the Lucknow University totally become insensitive towards the
disabled students? It certainly seems so. The 70% dip in the number of visually
challenged students in the Acharya Narendra Deo (AND) hostel, the only one at
the LU supposedly equipped with facilities to house them, is indeed shocking .
What is keeping students away is a food for thought.
India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/Are-disabled-getting-a-raw-deal-from-varsity/articleshow/7208316.cms#ixzz19xr8Y0xA

A5: INDIA: More

Palsy victim pens 50,000-word memoir

Titled One Little Finger', the 50,000-word book was written by Malini with her
left index finger that plodded away on the communicator's keypad for two years.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata-/Palsy-victim-pens-50000-word-memoir/articleshow/7294563.cms

2011 to be 'Year of the Disabled Soldier': Army chief

New Delhi, Jan 15 (IANS) The Indian Army will observe 2011 as the 'Year of the
Disabled Soldier' to honour its soldiers who suffered injuries or were disabled
in operations, its chief General V.K. Singh said here Saturday
http://www.sify.com/news/2011-to-be-year-of-the-disabled-soldier-army-chief-news-national-lbpukgbcgbd.html

Student's RTI way to get disability certificate

BANGALORE: Likhitha, a class nine student of Kendriya Vidyalaya MEG Bangalore,
was in a dilemma about how to obtain a physical disablilty certificate.
http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/65518-karnataka-students-rti-way-get-disability-certificat.html

Ad professional rescued from de-addiction centre

A 26-year-old advertising professional, who was ''illegally'' detained at a
drug rehabilitation centre, allegedly on the request of her parents, was
rescued when the centre at Kanakapura was raided by the Karnataka State Human
Rights Commission.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/124525/

Paralympic athlete is left stranded at Delhi airport

Imagine this: A wheelchair athlete, stranded at an international airport at 2
am, all by herself with absolutely no assistance, no money. Even worse - no
ticket to travel back home.
http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report_paralympic-athlete-is-left-stranded-at-delhi-airport_1485441

More kids like Chiku abandoned in India because of disability

New Delhi, Jan 05: On Monday, CNN-IBN brought the story of six-month old Chiku
alias Stephen, who got a brain hemorrhage during delivery. His parents
abandoned him saying it was the hospital's duty to cure him as they were unable
to look after him in his present state.
http://www.disabilitynewsasia.com/home-mainmenu-1/624-more-kids-like-chiku-abandoned-in-india-because-of-disability.html

'My son should not be treated as criminal': Utsav's father

SK Sharma, father of the youth who on Tuesday attacked murdered teenager
Aarushi Talwar's father Rajesh Talwar outside a court in Ghaziabad, has said
his son "should not be treated as a criminal, considering his mental
condition". "My son is suffering from depression since December 2007... Taking
this into account, he should not be treated as a criminal for attacking the man
(Talwar)," Sharma, a professor with the Banaras Hindu University's (BHU)
mechanical engineering department, told IANS on phone.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/My-son-should-not-be-treated-as-criminal-Utsav-s-father/Article1-654467.aspx

When a rehab centre turned into a house of horrors

The death of 12 inmates at the Karnataka State Rehabilitation Centre on Magadi
Road on August 17-18 sent shock waves across the City. But more shocking were
reports that emerged after the multiple deaths at the now infamous Beggars'
Colony, which could well be chronicled as a truly horrific story.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/124242/when-rehab-centre-turned-house.html

A step in the right direction

Many organisations participated in the 'Badthe Kadam' programme organised by
the National Trust in Chamarajnagar, Chikballapur, Davanagare, Sirsi, Bagalkot
and Raichur, reports L Subramani
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/125972/a-step-right-direction.html

Restart disability rehabilitation centre, officials told

MYSORE: The commissioner of Karnataka Commission for Persons with Disabilities,
K V Rajanna, on Wednesday directed the district administration to restart the
district disability rehabilitation centre (DDRC) by mid-February.
Read more: Restart disability rehabilitation centre, officials told - The Times
of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mysore/Restart-disability-rehabilitation-centre-officials-told/articleshow/7279520.cms#ixzz1AzZl9aIi

Turning heads

When we race up a staircase, taking steps two at a time, do we ever notice the
absence of a ramp for a wheelchair? Jaywalking across a road, do we wonder how
a blind man would cross? Tulsi Das, founder of Utthan Prayash Foundation (UPF),
which helps differently-abled people from weak economic backgrounds, is
striving to change mindsets around India.
http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/turning-heads/421192/

For a better world

Riding on the hope of good tidings in the New Year, four well-known activists
talk about the one big change they would like to see in their fields in 2011
A lot has changed; a lot more needs to change. This year, the pace better catch
some velocity.
http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/article1030147.ece

Study of disability should be part of college syllabi: Chief justice

It is the study of disability that needs to be a part of medical college
syllabi and not just the medical condition, chief justice (CJ) Mohit Shah of
the Bombay high court said on Saturday.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_study-of-disability-should-be-part-of-college-syllabi-chief-justice_1495075

Teaching Visually Impaired to Live Independently

Bhola Nath, after graduating from the National Institute of Visually
Handicapped (NIVH) at Dehradun, started working as Inspector of Braille
Appliances, at the Institute's workshop, manufacturing Braille appliances. To
anyone, this visually impaired young man seems to be very proud of his work and
his Institute.
http://nvonews.com/2011/01/03/teaching-visually-impaired-to-live-independently/

Disabled make the right call for a job

HUBLI: Disabilities have never been hurdle for those determined to reach their
goal. And Hubli-based Samarthanam Trust is giving them a helping them with
rigorous call centre training to the disabled, including visually impaired, for
the past six months. The first batch of 25 persons has even got jobs in
companies including FirstSource, Tata AIG, etc.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hubli/Disabled-make-the-right-call-for-a-job/articleshow/7271120.cms#ixzz1AsxRgpspa

CSR for the 'differently abled'

In the very beginning of the year, a news story in one of the leading dailies
of the country talked about how one wedding matchmaking website was cashing in
on the 'ability matrimony' platform.
http://www.causebecause.com/news-detail.php?NewsID=262

Visually-impaired navigate to success at car rally

JAIPUR: To prove that disability is no deterrent to achieve one's goal, a car
rally with visually-impaired persons as navigators was organised on Sunday.
Forty-five of them navigated cars using a route map in Braille for the 70-km
rally.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/Visually-impaired-navigate-to-success-at-car-rally/articleshow/7299787.cms#ixzz1BGLpDeOX
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/Visually-impaired-navigate-to-success-at-car-rally/articleshow/7299787.cms

Film fest on disability begins Thursday

New Delhi, Jan 12 (IANS) Aiming to bring together voices from across the world
on issues pertaining to disability, the eighth edition of the We Care Film
Festival will start in the capital Thursday, officials said.
http://www.sify.com/news/film-fest-on-disability-begins-thursday-news-national-lbmpOgajfgi.html

'Able' person gets disability award in Goa, complaint filed

Panaji, Jan 14 (IANS) A collective working for disabled people in Goa filed a
complaint against Minister for Social Welfare Sudin Dhavalikar for what it
called fraudulently awarding state disability award 2010 to an 'able' person.
http://www.sify.com/news/able-person-gets-disability-award-in-goa-complaint-filed-news-national-lbolEhhcjia.html

This visually impaired is adept at manouvering gatka

CHANDIGARH: Once believed to be a male bastion, Gatka- a traditional form of
Sikh martial art is also being practiced by the fairer sex now. Determined to
learn this form of self-defence, many Punjabi girls are also picking up the
art. For 31-year-old visually impaired Rashpal Kaur, maneuvering a Gatka is
just like doing any other every day chore.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/This-visually-impaired-is-adept-at-manouvering-gatka-/articleshow/7265211.cms#ixzz1An4euffA

IT city? Not for the disabled

The government of IT city has neither the time nor the inclination to make its
websites accessible to the disabled.
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/article/10/20110118201101180026462675ada22d0/IT-city-Not-for-the-disabled.html

CM wants IT firms to open avenues for disabled

Read more: CM wants IT firms to open avenues for disabled
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/CM-wants-IT-firms-to-open-avenues-for-disabled/articleshow/7256287.cms

Channelize talent of disabled: DGP

Jammu Jan 9: Director General of Police, Kuldeep Khoda today said the
physically challenged people should be provided equal opportunities and their
hidden talent should be exploited.
http://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/2011/Jan/10/channelize-talent-of-disabled-dgp-29.asp

Enable India: Where there is a wheel...

MUMBAI: This Saturday, 18 dancers will turn the wheelchair into an
indispensable prop.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Enable-India-Where-there-is-a-wheel/articleshow/7288407.cms

Mumbai's disabled phone booth owners seek governor's help

Claiming that the increased use of mobile phones has hit their business,
physically and visually challenged holders of public call booths in Mumbai
Friday sought Maharashtra Governor K. Sankaranarayan's help.

http://www.calcuttanews.net/story/728637/ht/Mumbais-disabled-phone-booth-owners-seek-governors-help

B: INTERNATIONAL NEWS

Urdu Translation of CRPD

If any one among you interested in online CRPD Urdu version please visit:
http://www.danishkadah.org.pk/usefulDocuments/UNCRPD-Urdu/index.html
same link is also available at UN Website scroll down to National Translations:
http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=150
You can find same at Disability Rights Fund (DRF) Web:
http://www.disabilityrightsfund.org/resource/urdu-translation-crpd.html

EU: A Commitment to Disability Rights

EU Ratifies International Treaty; First Intergovernmental Group to Join

(New York) - The European Union's ratification of the major international
treaty on disability rights is a significant milestone in the global effort to
promote the rights of people with disabilities, Human Rights Watch said today.
http://www.vadvert.co.uk/international/7119-eu-a-commitment-to-disability-rights.html

Tribunal Report: the definition of disability can lead to legal problems

The continuing case of Rayner v Turning Point and others is one that highlights
the caution needed when dealing with disability issues - particularly in
relation to mental health
http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/1049457/Tribunal-Report-definition-disability-lead-legal-problems/

Prisons grappling with increase in mentally impaired female inmates

A wave of mentally ill women is flooding into the Canadian penitentiary system,
sparking calls for reform and the creation of treatment facilities that already
exist for male offenders.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/prisons-grappling-with-increase-in-mentally-impaired-female-inmates/article1884243/

Mental health and development: targeting people with mental health conditions
as a vulnerable group

OverviewThe new WHO report on mental health and development is a call to action
to all development stakeholders - governments, civil society, multilateral
agencies, bilateral agencies, global partnerships, private foundations,
academic and research institutions - to focus their attention on mental health.
http://www.who.int/mental_health/policy/mhtargeting/en/index.html

People with intellectual disabilities 'exported' by state: report

A DAMNING REPORT into services for Irish people with intellectual disabilities
has claimed that 55 people have been "exiled" to agencies outside the country
over the past 30 years.
http://www.thejournal.ie/people-with-intellectual-disabilities-exported-by-state-report-2011-01/

Malta plans to ratify UN disability convention this year

Malta, one of the 11 EU member states yet to ratify the UN convention on
disability rights, says it intends to do so this year.
All 27 EU member states have signed up to the treaty, which establishes basic
equality rights for disabled people. However, only 16 have actually put it in
place.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110110/local/malta-plans-to-ratify-un-disability-convention-this-year

A Justice Department disability rights pioneer

John Wodatch may be anonymous to most Americans, but the Department of Justice
attorney has been a pivotal behind-the-scenes player during the past four
decades in breaking down discriminatory barriers for tens of millions of people
with disabilities.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/24/AR2011012402765.html

Dreaming of Paralympic gold: Sporty amputee boy, 9, has more than 20 artificial
legs so he can compete at every event

Nine-year-old Cody McCasland has more than 20 artificial legs so he can take
part in all sports and beat his able-bodied friends - despite having his own
amputated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345874/Dreaming-Paralympic-gold-Sporty-boy-9-20-artificial-legs-compete-event.html

Major Commissions Awarded to Ground-Breaking Program for Disabled Artists

LONDON. - The London 2012 Cultural Olympiad, the UK Arts Councils and the
British Council have awarded £820,000 funding to a new round of major
commissions for Unlimited, the groundbreaking programme that celebrates arts
and culture by disabled and deaf artists on an unprecedented scale for the
Cultural Olympiad.
http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=44411

C: RESOURCES - Newsletter, Publication,Journal, Guideline,Website

Tech your life in your hands

Barrier Break Technologies, a Mumbai-based company, has a range of assistive
products for people with hearing, vision, mobility and learning impairment.
http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report_tech-your-life-in-your-hands_1493921

UN Human Rights Committee
PARTICIPATION IN THE REPORTING PROCESS
Guidelines for Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)

The Centre for Civil and Political Rights has released Guidelines on the
Reporting Process to the UN Human Rights Committee.
These Guidelines are intended for Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and
give an overview of the reporting process and the role of the NGOs in this
process. To read in English go to
http://www.ccprcentre.org/doc/CCPR/Handbook/CCPR_Guidelines%20for%20NGOs_en.pdf

Release of Human Rights Guide

The Advocates for Human Rights and the US Human Rights Network has released a
new resource for advocates seeking to monitor, document and advance human
rights in the United States.
http://www.theadvocatesforhumanrights.org/uploads/final_report_3.pdf

Serbia - Torment not Treatment - Mental Rights Disability Group

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:U9XycbHi2sYJ:www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cat/docs/ngos/MDRI_Serbia41.pdf+Torment+not+Treatment:+Serbia%E2%80%99s+Segregation+and+Abuse+of+Children+and+Adults+with+Disabilities&hl=en&gl=in&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiWVDKtsFpGrNSQIXMrCggMAnAoQGYnfAMEcqapia38l_lNvbBzvFBVjYB79Ki-6lJYYZKSfWblOmueXa4iTrD5YTNxiP39_PUr-qMrVL3hRPs3CpDW8CiqnSLPDeXemxvFJzpk&sig=AHIEtbT6O5wE5L7Z9ec2vrsJk8zMQ6FWPA

D: ANNOUNCEMENTS

Call for Applications to Receive Global Disability Rights Library

Washington, DC - The Global Disability Rights Library project announces a call
for organizations to apply to receive a free digital Global Disability Rights
Library (GDRL).
http://www.usicd.org/index.cfm/global-disability-rights-library

CREA Plans its 5th Institute in Turkey

CREA is a feminist human rights organization based in the global South and led
by women from the global South. CREA's Sexuality, Gender and Rights Institute
is an annual, week-long, residential course that focuses on the conceptual
study of sexuality. This year's Institute will be held 18-26 June 2011 in
Istanbul, Turkey. It examines the links between sexuality, rights, gender, and
health and their interface with socio-cultural and legal issues. Applications
due by 15 February 2011. To read more, go to
http://apps3.creaworld.org/creaforms/node/1

CLAT-2011 to be held on May 15

New Delhi: The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) - 2011 for admission to
undergraduate and postgraduate law programmes at the National Law Universities
in India will be conducted on May 15, 2011.
To be eligible for undergraduate law programmes, candidates should have cleared
10+2 or equivalent examination with a minimum of 50% marks for general and 45%
marks for SC/ST/OBC category and persons with disability category candidates.
http://www.indiaedunews.net/Law/CLAT%2D2011%5Fto%5Fbe%5Fheld%5Fon%5FMay%5F15%5F13291/<http://www.indiaedunews.net/Law/CLAT-2011_to_be_held_on_May_15_13291/>

For previous editions of e-news visit
www.cbrforum.in/news.htm<http://www.cbrforum.in/news.htm>

Kindly email advocacy.cbrfo...@gmail.com<mailto:advocacy.cbrfo...@gmail.com> for

- Contributing news/ events to this E-news bulletin
- To unsubscribe this E-news Bulletin

Disclaimer: This e-news is a collation of articles/ news from national and
international sources. The contents of the same do not necessarily represent
the views of CBR Forum.

--
C. Mahesh
Advocacy Coordinator

"The issue is not the absence of equal rights but the inability to exercise
them"

"When Policies weaken, Rights must be strengthened"

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.