Posted by Nishit Shah, Product Manager, Google Security

(Cross-posted from the Google Blog)

Has anyone you know ever lost control of an email account and
inadvertently sent spam—or worse—to their friends and family? There are
plenty of examples (like the classic "Mugged in London" scam) that
demonstrate why it's important to take steps to help secure your
activities online. Your Gmail account, your photos, your private
documents—if you reuse the same password on multiple sites and one of
those sites gets hacked, or your password is conned out of you directly
through a phishing scam, it can be used to access some of your most
closely-held information.

Most of us are used to entrusting our information to a password, but we
know that some of you are looking for something stronger. As we
announced to our Google Apps customers a few months ago, we've
developed an advanced opt-in security feature called 2-step
verification that makes your Google Account significantly more secure
by helping to verify that you're the real owner of your account. Now
it's time to offer the same advanced protection to all of our users.

2-step verification requires two independent factors for
authentication, much like you might see on your banking website: your
password, plus a code obtained using your phone. Over the next few
days, you'll see a new link on your Account Settings page that looks
like this:

Take your time to carefully set up 2-step verification—we expect it may
take up to 15 minutes to enroll. A user-friendly set-up wizard will
guide you through the process, including setting up a backup phone and
creating backup codes in case you lose access to your primary phone.
Once you enable 2-step verification, you'll see an extra page that
prompts you for a code when you sign in to your account. After entering
your password, Google will call you with the code, send you an SMS
message or give you the choice to generate the code for yourself using
a mobile application on your Android, BlackBerry or iPhone device. The
choice is up to you. When you enter this code after correctly
submitting your password we'll have a pretty good idea that the person
signing in is actually you.

It's an extra step, but it's one that significantly improves the
security of your Google Account because it requires the powerful
combination of both something you know—your username and password—and
something that only you should have—your phone. A hacker would need
access to both of these factors to gain access to your account. If you
like, you can always choose a "Remember verification for this computer
for 30 days" option, and you won't need to re-enter a code for another
30 days. You can also set up one-time application-specific passwords to
sign in to your account from non-browser based applications that are
designed to only ask for a password, and cannot prompt for the code.

To learn more about 2-step verification and get started, visit our Help
Center. And for more about staying safe online, see our ongoing
security blog series or visit http://www.staysafeonline.org/. Be safe!

--
Posted By The Gmail Team to Official Gmail Blog at 2/10/2011 10:45:00 AM

Warm Regards,
Have a nice day

Hozefa...

Get numbers right this time, help the census with correct disability info!