MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Researchers led by geneticists at the University of
Miami Miller School of Medicine have identified a new gene that causes
retinitis pigmentosa, a form of blindness, ending one South Florida family's
nearly 20-year search for what caused three of their four children to lose
their sight.

"This was a powerful demonstration of what we can do with new genetic
technologies"

The Lidsky children, who are now in their 30s, began to lose their sight in
their teens. Their parents, Betti and Carlos, had the family's DNA tested for

more than 50 retinitis pigmentosa (RP) genes. No one found the link until they
began working with UM researchers in late 2009. By the summer of 2010,
researchers had found the cause of their retinitis pigmentosa using exome
sequencing and confirmed it with zebrafish studies.

"For 18 years, we have been searching for the genetic cause of this disease and
UM researchers have found it," Mrs. Lidsky said. "We've wanted this for some
time. These researchers are truly our heroes. They are doing life-changing work
that will benefit not only our family but many other people. We are truly
grateful for all their hard work."

The result of the work, a paper titled "Whole-exome sequencing links a variant
in DHDDS to retinitis pigmentosa," was published online Thursday, February 3,
in the American Journal of Human Genetics. To identify the gene responsible for
retinitis pigmentosa in the Lidsky family, researchers used a new technology
known as whole exome sequencing, which thoroughly investigates the coding
portions of an individual's genetic material. The RP gene identified in this
family codes for an enzyme known as dehydrodolichol diphosphate synthase or
DHDDS, which is thought to play a role in how a light-sensing protein named
rhodopsin works.

The research was led by Margaret A. Pericak-Vance, Ph.D., associate dean for
human genomic programs, the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation Professor of Human
Genomics, and director of the John P. Hussman Institute for Human Genomics,
along with Stephan Züchner, M.D., Ph.D., first author of the paper and director
of the Center for Human Molecular Genomics at the Hussman Institute, and Byron
Lam, M.D., professor of ophthalmology at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.

"This was a powerful demonstration of what we can do with new genetic
technologies," Dr. Züchner said. Important evidence to support this gene as the
cause of RP comes from research with zebrafish, led by collaborator Julia
Dallman, Ph.D., in the Department of Biology at UM. When researchers in her lab
blocked the enzyme, the fish became blind.

Researchers from five areas of the University of Miami -- the John P. Hussman
Institute for Human Genomics, the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation Department
of Human Genetics, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, the Department of Biochemistry
and Molecular Biology, and the Department of Biology - worked together to make
this exciting discovery. Researchers from the Department of Psychiatry at Mount
Sinai School of Medicine and the Center for Human Genetics Research at
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine also contributed to the work.

"This research brings hope to families that have rare genetic diseases whose
causes had formerly eluded researchers using traditional methods," said Dr.
Pericak-Vance, senior author on the paper. "We now can bring hope to families
who formerly thought their situation was hopeless."

"This is another example of how genomics research is critically important to
our work here at the Miller School of Medicine," said Pascal J. Goldschmidt,
M.D., Senior Vice President for Medical Affairs and Dean of the Miller School.
"It makes a difference in people's lives. In addition, it exemplifies the team
approach to research we take here at UM."

Retinitis pigmentosa refers to a large group of diseases that cause
degeneration of the retina of the eye. The retina is located at the back of the
eye and its role is to capture light that enters the eye, which is translated
into images by the brain. In RP there is damage to the cells in the retina that
capture light, known as cones and rods. Over time, these cells slowly stop
working and vision deteriorates. One of the first signs of RP is
night-blindness, or the slow adaptation to dim light. As RP progresses, people
develop tunnel vision, which can eventually lead to a complete loss of vision.
RP is diagnosed in approximately 1 in 3,000 to 4,500 people and is known to be
caused by changes, or mutations, in many genes.

Dr. Lam has treated the Lidsky siblings with retinitis pigmentosa - Isaac
Lidsky, Daria Zawadzki, and Ilana McGuinn - for several years. He called the RP
finding an "exciting discovery."

"Our success in identifying this novel DHDDS gene associated with retinitis
pigmentosa demonstrates the power of new genetic methodology to find the cause
of disease in small families," said Dr. Lam. "Finding the genetic causes of
retinal degeneration is important because it will lead to a better
understanding of retinal biology overall."

"The current findings will encourage further studies designed to examine the
role of proteins in the formation and renewal of light-sensitive photoreceptor
cells in the retina and how retinitis pigmentosa occurs," said Eduardo Alfonso,
M.D., chair of Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. "The ultimate implications are
better patient care and the possibility of developing new therapies."

While there is no cure for RP at this time, HIHG and Bascom Palmer researchers
said the discovery holds promise to develop new avenues for therapy.

"We need to come at this from different angles," explained Jeffery M. Vance,
M.D., Ph.D., professor and chair of the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation
Department of Human Genetics, professor of neurology and director of the Center
for Genomic Medicine at the Hussman Institute for Human Genomics. Dr. Vance is
also a co-author on the paper. "UM researchers are creating models using both
zebrafish and skin cells from patients to develop possible treatments, but they
will take some time to test."

Contacts

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Jeanne Krull, 305-243-4853
jkr...@med.miami.edu

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110203006365/en/UM-Researchers-Identify-Gene-Causing-Blindness

Get numbers right this time, help the census with correct disability info!

Question 9 relates to disability.