Folks:

I know we don’t discuss politics in this platform, but the changes
that have taken place in the elections to the five states may have
some implications for the disability sector. After several requests,
Mamata Bannerjee, as Union Railway Minister, extended disability
concession to Shatabdi and Rajdani trains. Does that portend
progressive policies in West Bengal for the disabled community? This
could be delightful for our brethrens in the state, especially if
Mamata shows sensitivity towards disability issues. However, given
that it has been a tradition in Tamil Nadu to dismantle everything )or
most things) the previous government has done, we have to watch with
concern if the new administration would retain the disability
department or axe it along with many other things. I don’t know how
far the AIADMK governments in the past had been responding to
disability issues, but the sector in the state has the task of
watching over the fate of the disability department.

Subramani

--
L. Subramani,
Snr. Subeditor,

"You see and ask why? I dream and ask why not?"