Friends, I am copying below an email received from a friend and an activitst. I
have copied the email, both the attachments-one is a draft letter and the
second is the contact addresses of people to whom the letter should be sent.
The length of this email is about 5 pages. I have checked and everything is one
below the other.

I am sure that everyone realizes the importance and does his/her own bit and
builds up pressure. In reply to a question raised on the letters regarding the
railway concession- please send it by post,email and or fax and hopefully by
sms whichever is convenient. If you have the enthusiasm and really want to push
it a little further then use all means of communication.It is good to bombard
the government with our voices.

Thanks

Kanchan

Dear Friends,

            As all of you are aware, the Planning Commission of Govt.
of India will launch a Census operation in June 2011 to determine the
number of households below the poverty line (BPL) in the country. The
ministries of rural development and housing, urban poverty alleviation,
and the Registrar General of India are entrusted with this task.

One of the deprivation parameters included in the survey schedule is
disability. The section reads as (Households with any disabled member
and no able bodied adult member pertaining to disability would be
considered as a BPL household).

            All of us know from our experience of working with poor
people that this provision excludes a vast majority of BPL households
who have people with disability for whom they have to provide care to
lesser or greater degree depending on the severity of impairment.
Therefore, to protect the interests of persons with disability and their
BPL households, we recommend that the clause should read as "Households
with one or more persons with disability be considered as a BPL
household."

It is estimated that there are 7 crore disabled people in the country
and studies show that 70% belong to poor families which is approximately
5 crore. Therefore we urge the planning commission and other authorities
to take into account of this fact and that every disabled person has
additional costs for health care, Rehabilitation, Assistive devices,
Caregivers and so on.

            We are writing to request you to circulate the attached
request letter to your networks and members to send it to the  people
given in the contact list (Attachment 2). We do not have the Email IDs
of  3 of  them but have only their postal address.

            We need to act on this immediately.

With Warm Regards,

Praveen

VSO is an international development charity that works through
volunteers.

Sub: Request to amend the deprivation parameter for disability in the BPL
Census 2011.

Dear Sir/ Madam,

            We learn that the ministries of Rural Development and Housing,
urban poverty alleviation, and the Registrar General of India have been
entrusted by the Planning Commission to conduct a BPL Census through out the
country commencing from June 2011. We are writing to appeal to you to change
the deprivation parameters for disability. Currently the deprivation parameter
for disability reads as (Households with any disabled member and no able bodied
adult member pertaining to disability would be considered as a BPL household).
This would mean that most families having disabled members would be excluded
from the BPL list as there will be non-disabled members in the family. It is
estimated that there are 7 crore disabled people in the country and studies
show that 70% belong to poor families which is approximately 5 crore. Most
disabled people have additional costs of health care, Rehabilitation, Assistive
devices, Caregivers, etc.

            We recommend that the deprivation parameter for BPL households with
one or more persons with disability shall be amended to read as “Households
with one or more persons with disability be considered as a BPL household.”
Therefore we urge the planning commission and other authorities to take into
account of this fact and ensure that disabled persons, especially those living
in rural areas and urban slums from poor economic backgrounds are not left out
of this listing which will have repercussions for their future.

We earnestly hope that you will comply with our request in the interest of
Justice and equity.

With Warm Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shri. Manmohan Singh

Prime Minister Office

South Block, Raisina Hill,

New Delhi,

India - 110 101.

Telephone: 91-11-23012312.

Fax: 91-11-23019545 / 91-11-23016857.

Shri. Montek Singh Ahluwalia

Deputy Chairman

Planning Commission

Government of India.

Parliament Street, New Delhi – 110001 (India)

Tel. No.: (Off.) 23096677, 2309 6666/ 96 Extn. 2132/34

Fax: 23096699

Email: d...@nic.in

Smt. Sonia Gandhi

President Indian National Congress and Chairperson UPA

10, Janpath (Residence)

New Delhi

Tele. (O) : 23034984, 23034285

Tele. (R) : 23014161, 23014481

E-Mail: soniagan...@sansad.nic.in

Shir. Vilasrao Deshmukh

Minister of Rural Development

Krishi Bhawan

New Delhi

email: minoff...@nic.in

tel: 23782373 23782327 PH:23063581,23034922

Shri. B.K. Sinha,

Secretary (Rural Development)

Minister of Rural Development

Krishi Bhawan

New Delhi

tel: 23384467, 23382230

email: sec...@nic.in

Shri Mukul Wasnik

Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment

R.No.201 'C' Wing,

Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi

Tel: 011-23381001, 23381390

Fax: 011-23381902

Shri K.M. Acharya

Secretary

Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment

secy...@nic.in

23385180, 23382683 (Fax)

Smt. Sangita Gairola

Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities

Office of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities

Sarojini House, 6 Bhagwan Das Road,

NEW Delhi – 110 001.

Phone No:  011 - 2338 6154, 6054, 4762, 23383907

Fax: 011- 2338 6006

Email: c...@hub.nic.in

Sh. Rajiv Sharma, IAS

Secretary General

Chief Executive Officer of the Commission

NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHT COMMISSION

Faridkot House, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi, PIN 110001

Tel.No: +91-11-23384856/ 23384012;  Fax No. 23384863

sgn...@nic.in

covdn...@nic.in

Sh. Prasanna K Pincha

Special Rapporteur - Disabilities