To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:10 PM
Subject: [AI] Dial #09, play into hands of cell cheats

Dial #09, play into hands of cell cheats
Published: Saturday, Jun 11, 2011, 1:41 IST
By Divyesh Singh | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

Many mobile phone users across the city have been losing money to a new tele-fraud. They have reported that they receive calls from unidentified numbers registered outside the state. The callers tell them that they have won gift vouchers and ask them to dial a few numbers to claim the prize. Once the victim dials the numbers, he finds out that he has lost his entire balance to calls made on premium numbers. Anand Gotukde, a mobile phone dealer from Kurla, said: "I received a call around a month ago. The caller told me that he was calling on behalf of a mobile service provider company. He told me that I had won a gift voucher and, to complete the procedure, I would have to dial '#09' and then end the call. The next minute, I received an SMS from the service provider saying that I had lost my balance of around Rs2,000 to some user in Uttar Pradesh." In the same period, around eight to nine other mobile phone dealers from Kurla lost money to similar calls. Akbar Shaikh, another victim from Kurla, said: "I complained about the call to my service provider, but it could not do anything as its system reflected that I had made a call on a premium number."

Copyright permission mandatory to republish this article.