Poor infrastructure concerns ahead of the disability meet
New Delhi:

Delhi, is set to host a major international event for disabled persons in
August, but in terms of infrastructure, the city is woefully unprepared for it.
The issue was brought to the fore at a press conference, organised by Disabled
Peoples' International (DPI), on Saturday.

The DPI, in association with the National Centre for Promotion of Employment
for Disabled People, will organise a regional workshop in Delhi from August 18
to 21. The workshop aims to accelerate the implementation of the United Nations
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).

Speaking to reporters, Secretary General of DPI India Javed Abidi said the
event would see hundreds of delegates from India and the Asia Pacific region
taking part and his prime concern was accommodation and transport.

"I have been to every 5star and 3star hotel in the city and in all of them I
have found only one room that has been allocated for disabled persons."

In terms of transport, Abidi pointed out that it was not just Europe and
America that were ahead of us.

"In order to transport people with non-foldable, electric wheelchairs, we need
special vans. I'm sorry to say that I have seen such vehicles even in countries
like Dubai, Vietnam, China and Sri Lanka, but none in Delhi."

Speaking along with him, Saowalak Thongkuay, Regional Development Officer for
DPI Asia Pacific Region, said that the focus of the conference would be to
bring disability issues within the broader ambit of human rights mechanisms and
to revise existing laws to meet the convention.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/poor-infrastructure-concerns-ahead-of-the-disability-meet/802408/

Vikas Kapoor,
MSN Id: dl_vi...@hotmail.com, Yahoo&Skype Id: dl_vikas,
Mobile: (+91) 9891098137.