The Hindu

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Bangalore/article2121072.ece
Bangalore, June 21, 2011
Staff Reporter
 the feedback incorporated. File Photo: K. Gopinathan
It will help them locate volunteers for study, write their exams

As a part of their centenary celebrations, IBM joined hands with Retina India,
an organisation for persons with retinal impairment, to create a technology
portal to help visually challenged students.

This portal will help blind students find suitable volunteers to write their
exams and to read books and other study material for them.

Mamta Sharma, IBM's head of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) for South
Asia, launched a prototype of the portal last week in the city.

Amit Sharma, Chief Operating Officer, IBM India, announced a grant from IBM to
Retina India.

"We are positive that a database will connect visually challenged persons
across the country with their potential reader or scribe. It will be a huge
help to the students who lose much time trying to find volunteers. This project
is an example of how our technology support can create the change at grassroots
level," he said.

Big help

Arvind Bhartiya, Trustee of Retina India, said lack of scribes are an obstacle
to visually challenged students preparing for exams.
---

IF we not part of the solution then we are part of the problem
With Regards
Pradeep T.S
SyndicateBank
Information Technology Cell