From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Jean Parker
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:29 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] using a white cane

Dear All:

In reading the many postings about mobility, sighted guides and canes, it is
apparent that many people on this list have never had any formal training in
use of the white cane.  I am thinking of those who have posted who have
become blind in adulthood or are from rural areas where blindness
rehabilitation training has not been available.

Of course there is no substitute for a structured program in rehab and
adjustment to blindness as would be received from a formal rehabilitation
center.  But there are documents that clearly articulate how a white cane is
used and give detailed steps for learning, or improving cane technique.

There is one such document on the National Federation of the Blind's web
site called "The Care and Feeding of the White Cane."  It is written for
conditions that would be found in developed countries but is very applicable
to our conditions in India.  It is on their web site as a series of
documents by topic.  I do not think it is downloadable as a whole document.
However, if enough people would find it helpful I am willing to piece it
together in word and make it available as a printable document.  I could
also make notations about variations in described techniques that would
apply to our conditions.

Again, this would not substitute for formal mobility training, but for
people who have lost their vision and just need to get on with life perhaps
it would be helpful.  Even though I have been a cane traveler for many years
I always get something out of it every time I read it.  As a printed
document it would also be available to reluctant family members and friends
who really don't know how blind people manage independent travel.

I would like to know if this document is something people would find of
benefit?

Jean

Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm