Dear Accessindia Members,
Greetings!
I am coming on the list after a very long time. As you would have recieved the
news of my treatment through our friend Rajesh Asudani, I did not participate
in the discussions on our list for quite sometime.
Well, I take this opportunity to thank all those who had sent me messages of
good wishes for my quick recovery and those who had been constantly enquiring
about my progress.
I thought sharing with you a couple of things and hence writing now.
Firstly, most of you had asked about the nature of my sickness and the
treatment.
Well, I was suffering from a diseas called Meningioma in my Right Front
Temporal Region which in other words, called the Cranial region--to be precise,
the region between my right eye and right ear internally. I was diagnosed with
this problem in 2004 and underwent a major Neuro surgery on 7th June, 2004. I
was in the midst of my PhD programme then and I could not take up the follow up
treatment at that point of time. However, in 2007 it was diagnosed that the
same thing has recurred again and it was a very tiny growth and immediate
surgery was not advisable. So, I was preparing myself for the treatment which
would give me a complete cure.
In the meanwhile, I got the job as Assistant Professor at Tata Institute of
Social Sciences, Mumbai by November 2007 and I was doing well in my career.
Last November, I decided to go for the treatment because by then, I have made
all the required arrangements in terms of financial support, physical fitness
to face the treatment and most importantly, certain insured means in case of
any probable consequences.
I underwent the Craniotomy--the name of the Neuro surgery on 11-11-2010. This
time the doctors insisted that I should follow it up with a Radiation Therapy
in order to avoid its further recurrence. Luckily, the tumor was benign until
now. However, my Neurologist and the Radiologist did not rule out the
possibility of a malignant growth next time and hence, the RT became mandatory.
I consulted three Radiologists in Chennai before taking the final decision.
Here, I would like to inform you that I was very clear that whatever decision
is made regarding my treatment, it should be made by me and I was very firm in
my decisions.
Well, the RT was given in 30 doses and started on 27th December, 2010 and got
over on 7th February, 2011.
Friends, I was able to bear the severe pain of Surgery; but the RT which was
not a painful process had a heavy toll on my stamina and my face. I can't
explain the experience in words. However, my morale and spirit never decline at
any point of time.
Well, I rejoined my work on 17th February, and since then, I am doing well.
This Semester I had three papers to teach and I am guiding two M.A. students
for writing their Research Projects.
By the way, I am writing all my experiences mainly because a number of our
listers wanted the nature of my problem.
By the way, coming to the subject line:
Our institute has called for the applications for the Masters Programme for the
year 2012-2014. This time TISS is asking the applicants to apply online.
I am listing the M.A. programmes available  in TISS:
School of Social Work: MA in Social Work, MA in Disability Studies and Action;
School of Social Sciences:
Development Studies,
Women Studies, Counselling,
School of Management and Labour Studies:
Human Resources Management,
Social Entrepreneurship,
Globalisation and Labour Studies
Apart from these, you can apply for MA programmes in Media and Cultural
Studies, Disaster Management, Health Administration, Hospital Administration
etc.
Well, please go to the website at www.tiss.edu where you would find a link for
MA programme 2012-2014 and read the instructions carefully. You can download
the instruction brochure and the model question papers also.
You should scan all the required certificates and upload them while filling in
the application online.
It would be advisable if you could take a print out of the details that you had
filled in and keep a copy for your reference.
If you need any further details regarding this, please contact me at:
rambabu_...@yahoo.com.with love and best wishes,
Dr. A.Rambabu

Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm