Dear Fellow Access Indians

For those who missed the convention Iā€˜d like to share some update on accessible
ATMs. Standard Chartered although not having formally inaugurated are testing
out what I can describe as an ATM machine which meets all the voice
accessibility requirements. Presently there are located at 3 places ā€“ Mumbai,
Delhi and Chennai. More machines will be added shortly. What is more, they have
taken a policy decision to add accessible machines whenever they acquire a new
machine.

In order to run the machine in accessible mode, please follow the points
mentioned below.
Accessible Speech features are triggered when a headphone pin (use a standard
headphone) is plugged in. For hygiene reasons, we recommend you carry your own
headphone. All screens will be voice guided primarily using the number pad.
They will be moving also to a hot key mechanism. For example: press 5 to start
accessible voice guidance without using the headphone.

Right now Braille labels have not been installed but will also be put on to the
machines. The moment that they offer Hindi to their sighted users it will also
be added to the voice option.

Please follow the instructions and use the number pad accordingly. You do not
need to use the function keys. You may require a few trials to get used to but
once you follow the screen flow and instructions it is extremely simple and
user friendly. Would appreciate any feedback so that I could pass it on to the
people at Standard Chartered. You do not need a special card to use the
accessibility features. What is more, even if you do not have a Standard
Chartered card, a valid ATM card from any bank would do. In that scenario, like
others you would not be permitted a pin change. The addresses follow:

1.       B-68, Greater Kailash, Part I, New Delhi 110 048.
2.       90, M G Road, Fort, Mumbai ā€“ 400 001.
3.       Grindlays Gardens, 1 Haddows Road, Chennai 600 006.

Best Regards

Dr. Sam Taraporevala
Director

Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC)
St. Xavier's College, 5 Mahapalika Marg
Mumbai - 400001

+91 22 22620661-5 (extn: 366)
+91 22 22623298 (direct)
+91 9967028769 (mobile)
xr...@hotmail.com
Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm

  • [AI] Standar... Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visuall St. Xavier's College