Hi.
A couple of things I'd like to clarify:
Apart from what our friend said, there are many voices in Espeak
itself (the synthesizer that comes with NVDA by default). Press
ctrl+NVDA+V (note: the NVDA key, like JAWS, could be CapsLock or
Insert). Further, Here's a free synthesizer list from the NVDA
website:
http://www.nvda-project.org/wiki/FreeSpeechSynthesizerList
About your 4th question concerning application scripts, there's a
concept called plugins. Some are global plugins, while others are
applicationModules (AppModules) through which one could add support
for specific applications. Winamp has a plugin, Skype has skype
talking (although it's not meant for NVDA exclusively), there are a
fair few appmodules of which I was speaking that are bundled with NVDA
and so on.
About your 6th question, there's flat review, a mode you can access
using insert+numpad7 and make use of by pressing the numpad keys:
7-9for previous, current and next line; 4-6 for previous-next word;
and 1-3 between characters in the same order.
Hope this helps,
Ravi