To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:40 PM
Subject: [AI] problem sending free matter again

Colleagues:
Several weeks ago I wrote to this list to inquire whether India's free matter for the blind rules had been changed. I had attempted to send a package containing Braille and recorded material to the US from India. I had tried at both the Kondhwa post office in Pune as well as from the Pune GPO. At that time I was told the free matter rule had been revoked. Earlier this week, a friend attempted to send the box from the Pune GPO and was told by someone claiming authority in such things, that the free matter policy had been revoked for five years. How then is it possible for those of us who receive talking books from the US to continue sending them back and forth to the US with no interference if the rules have been changed?

In my original posting, I asked if someone could provide the actual government circular containing the free matter provision so I may show it to the postal authorities in Pune and instruct them in their own rules and policies. The only response I received was an informal one from someone who said they regularly receive materials at home under the free matter provision.

Clearly, the Pune postal authorities are unequipped to read and interpret their own rules so someone else must do it for them. I am asking once again for either the actual publications where these rules are outlined or, at the very least, a web site where I may download them myself. Kanchan, Rajesh, someone from NAB? Someone else entirely? Where can the rules be obtained? And, how can I report this matter to the real authorities for resolution?

Many thanks for all efforts,
Jean