Hello Members,

I am not sure how many of you are aware of the website named Youtube this is
one of the Google products that hosts video web content. One can search video
content on many topics. I have been using this website with a screen reader and
find that the website is not accessible as it has a flash player for the
videos. The flash player for the videos has buttons to play, pause, control
volume on it for the video. I have been trying to address this to the Google
Accessibility team and I believe many such requests to them by other visually
impaired members who use the screen reader has gone into Limbo of no return.
However, I noticed that on some videos that the player buttons are accessible
mainly the pause, play and mute button. On repeated attempts I tried to access
the volume control button which is intergrated with the mute button, to a
sighted user he has to place the mouse on the mute button and this pops up a
volume slider that he can control by dragging the mouse up or down for a screen
reader user this is not possible. I tried using the JAWS cursor and the mouse
with NVDA to access this option but failed miserably. I was just wondering if
any of the members here have a work around for this limitation?

There are many such situations on websites where scrolling a mouse on a link
rolls out other options either vertically below the link or to the right of the
link, something like the submenu options in the start menu in windows. For a
visually impaired person he might not even know that this option exists in the
first place unless it is presented to him/her as individual links or a drop
down combo box. I am really wondering how we as screen reader users can cope
with such situations without the help of a sighted user? Do we just stop using
sites like these and deprive our self with information from these sites? If a
giant like Google gives two hoots about their websites accessibility then what
are we to expect from the smaller players? Please share your thoughts on this
situation and if you have any magic tricks on how to resolve the issue I am
facing with the volume control on the youtube video player please do share that
too.

Thanks for reading.

Mujtaba Merchant