Technology for Everyone - a NEWSWIRE Article in the Chip Magazine Issue
December 2011

Page 30 and 31

NEWSWIRE FEATURE - How the gadgets we take for granted can be adapted for
the disabled and tech novices

In a world where everyone wants to be treated as equals, adaptable changes
in technology can help bridge the digital divide.

*BY KAMAKSHISHRIVASTAVA*

India is a very culturally diverse country that is growing at a rapid pace.
While most of us embrace technological advancements without a second
thought, the number of people who want to but cannot is quite overwhelming.
While the availability of resources does play a major role, more often than
not, it's our cultural mindset that creates such a rift. When we talk about
lack of technological access, we limit our understanding to people who have
physical or mental disabilities. While adaptability is making its way into
a few products making them usable by the disabled, those products form a
very small minority. Most of the gadgets we use today cannot be used by
differently abled people.

Awareness Campaigns

The Xavier's Resource Center for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC) located at
St Xavier's College, Mumbai is a "state of the art" support centre that
helps visually challenged persons. The organization is actively advocating
the need to make consumer gadgets adaptable to those who are visually
challenged.

Dr Sam Taraporevala, the Director at XRCVC, who is also a Reader and Head
of the Department of Sociology? believes, "Products should be designed in
such a way that any person irrespective of mobility would be able to use
them." As a part of making general consumers aware of the troubles faced by
those who can't see, the center organized a familiarization drive called
Antarchakshu.

The idea behind the event was to reveal how minor tweaks can help the
consumer experiences of the disabled. Dr Taraporevala elaborates, "What we
showcased at the event, apart from the sensitization element, was basically
the focus on the consumer. We looked a products from the perspective of a
disabled consumer and how manufacturers can make adaptive changes, in not
only the overall design but in the consumer experience. People were taken
through the supermarket experience, and then we went on to entertainment.
We also made participants experience banking services, using an accessible
ATM and a whole lot of other technologies that are available."

 *Image - Demonstration of an accessible ATM at the Antarchakshu 2011
awareness event conducted by XRCVC.*

Successful initiatives

It isn't that adaptable technology hasn't made its way to the general
public. One visit to the resource center and you can see it for yourself.
The facility boasts of a number of easy to use accessible technologies
including a massive Index 4X4 PRO Braille Embosser to print books in
Braille; Mountbatten MB Pro that lets you print diagrams, maps and graphs
in Braille; screen readers; magnification tools; Indian language Braille
translators (Shree-Lipi Braille); OCR tools that come with Braille
conversion options; and other talking devices.

Apart from these, there are several devices that can be used on-the-go,
like Ruby, a portable video magnifier for low vision persons; DAISY
(Digital Accessible Information System) players that help people with
reading disabilities; Angel, a multipurpose portable digital device with
features of DAISY player, voice recorder, music and FM player, e-book
reader and handheld magnifier.

Off all the tech manufacturers, Apple products rate very high on Dr
Taraporevala's list. Apart from the MacBook Pro, which has an in-built
screen reader called Voice Over, other apple devices like the i-Pad,
i-Phone, and iPod Touch offer adaptability apps that can make using devices
quite easy for the disabled.

Adaptive banking services are one major area of change that is being pushed
for strongly by the center. Sam adds, "We have worked very closely with the
ATM industry and with the RBI as well to get these rules passed, but the
banks process has gone too slow. They have passed off partially speaking
machines as accessible. Now an accessible machine, something that speaks
out every screen and not just 'hello and welcome' and 'thank you', actually
gives feedback, and has built in safety features like capacity to blank
your screen so that nobody can "shoulder" stuff."

The center has also pushed for changes in the fields of entertainment and
health care. Sam adds, "Not that the blind don't go to the movies; they
enjoy watching movies too, but the consumption of movies can be further
enhanced if you have audio description. Peepli Live is a movie, whose
commercial DVD available in the market has a built-in adaptability track.
So when you start the DVD, it gives you the option to start audio narration
simultaneously. So we gave our audience a two-minute clip of Peepli Live
minus the audio description, and two minutes with audio description. This
is something we are pushing the industry towards, and the producers of
Peepli Live actually adapted to that."

As far as the healthcare industry goes, the center has provided research
and development to two leading manufacturers of electro physiotherapy
equipment in Maharashtra and Gujarat to launch fully accessible talking
electrotherapy physiotherapy equipments.

The way ahead

While there are a number of tools that let partially and completely blind
people use computers with ease, such tools are not limited to just
computing. Visually challenged or not, everybody needs automated consumer
gadgets, and technologies to make their life easier.

Dr Taraporevala explains, "We have done a survey among blind users that
have thrown up specific needs that the blind have. One is about having
accessible set top boxes. As a sighted person, you can scroll through your
set top boxes and see what is running where.

Hypothetically, you can have a speech-enabled system on that." He goes on
to add, "Audio description has come of age in the West. In fact, digital
TVs have the provision for that."

What the center wants is consumer durables that conform to adaptability
standards. Sam ends by saying, "As a campaign, we get mainstream consumer
durables manufacturers to look at accessibility. Today, everything is based
on a motherboard, or circuitry, or a chipset. Hypothetically, it's very
easy to even retrofit a chipset with speech. Try running a microwave with
your eyes closed, you may not be able to, but if the same unit gives you
knob control, and button control through speaking out everything that you
key in or touch, your work is done. That can also be a fully automatic
washing machine, or a dish washer, and it's not expensive today. We have
done that with a mainstream physiotherapy machine for the blind. We got two
manufacturers, in fact, to retrofit machines and they have done a brilliant
job. Every single screen is spoken. India is an aging population, so it is
far better to give double stimuli than a single stimulus, where a voice
prompt is complimented with a visual prompt. It would also provide help to
a semiliterate person. So it has endless possibilities, not just for the
blind. One of our motives is talking to mainstream manufactures to get it
done. Research and development will cost them just a few hundred thousand
rupees and the chipsets in comparison cost next to nothing. In fact, they
would get a brilliant USP.

feedb...@chip.in ��

www.chip.in��

Network 18