  From: Mujtaba Merchant
  To: advoc...@eyeway.org ; Access India
  Cc: geo...@eyeway.org
  Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 2:21 PM
  Subject: Re: [AI] A Colleague's wife falls into a pit!

  Hello George and the list members,

  This is a very serious issue in our country. There are no standards, quality
and safety measures maintained or enforced when planning a town, city or for
that matter anything to do with infrastructure. I lost a very dear friend on
this account. He was riding a bike late in the night at permisible speed, when
right before me he fell down and met his death. What happened? The city civic
authorities had dug up the road for some maintainance work and to caution all
the road users they just stuck a plant stem with a red flag which could have
been easily missed by anyone. Not to say, the road was not lit well too! This
matter was addressed to the authorities but they turned us down by giving us
excuses like we were overspeeding or drunk... The matter then was closely
monitered after we got the postmoterm report which did not indicate any alcohol
in the blood report. The family of the deceased was compensated fairly, but the
question is what good is that money when compared to the grief of the family
losing their child due to the negligance of the city authorities?

  Another aspect which was discussed in the mail by Mr. George Abraham in his
mail to the Access India mailing list is the growing menace of stray animals in
urban areas. Although he has bought the monkeys and dogs into the picture we at
Bangalore have cows patrol the streets too. We have a nickname for those cows
aptly as live speedbreakers. There is still a huge debate raging amongst the
citizens of Bangalore and between the animal lovers and the others who feel
that stray dogs are a menace to the city. I understand that we as humans have
invaded many animals habitat, but come on there has to be some kind of control
by the authorities when it comes to the safety of it's citizens.

  Added to the number of hazzards for any citizen regardless of being sighted
or not, the roads, so called footpaths, walkways and traffic control systems
are all a pmake shift arrangement to meet injury or death! Please dont get me
started on how construction takes place in our country. Simply, too shabby of a
job not only to the ones involved in carrying out the construction but for
others as well. The safety of the construction workers is totally comprimised
when it comes to cost. The chaps are not even insured, in case of any accident
on the site the contractor with the help of other workers will shift the
injured to a government hospital and the rest is Raam Jaanay story. I am not
that educated on the labour laws of the country so please forgive my negligence
on expressing or commenting wrongly on the subject.

  I think I have ranted enough about this subject for now. Sorry to hear about
the colleagues wife who met with the injury from falling into a pitt, may her
injuries heal fast. George, please let me know if you require me to address
anymore concerns on this regard.

  Good day to you all.

  Mujtaba Merchant
  Bangalore, India