Yes, it's right time to talk about Pliitical impact of People with
Disability.
Many of us are already proven that nothing impossible to do with some ease
and difficulty.
in different sectors,I guess, only remaining sector is the Politics. Hope
some of us will fulfill that desire in the feature days..

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Sruti disAbility Rights Centre <
sruti.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> As social activists, we have always rued the fact that political parties do
> not give any thought to the issue of disability. As a result the issue we
> work for remains invisible and not given its due importance by the policy
> makers. I am happy that for the first time, the Draft Political Resolution
> of the CPI(M) for its 20th Congress to be held at Kozhikode in April talks
> about the rights of the disabled. I am quoting the separate section from
> the Draft which is available at
>
>  http://www.cpim.org/documents/2012-20Cong-Draft-Pol-Res.pdf
>
> *Rights of Disabled*
>
> 2.98                   Persons with disabilities, continue to face stigma,
> discrimination and denial of basic human rights and often outright cruelty.
> There has been an undercounting of the actual numbers of disabled which has
> denied them a basic share in resource allocations. Large numbers of
> disabled  belong to the poorer sections and are thus doubly disadvantaged.
> The present legal framework is utterly inadequate and both the law and
> policy require a reorientation from a rights based perspective. The failure
> to ensure the rights of the disabled; the failure to provide education,
> employment and livelihood; deprival of health services; the failures at
> integration – all are issues that have to be addressed urgently. With the
> coming into force of the United Nations Convention on Persons with
> Disabilities, there is an urgent need to revise existing legislations to
> bring them in conformity with the Convention. The welfare and advancement
> of disabled citizens is crucially linked to the recognition of their rights
> as equal citizens, not as recipients of charity or patronage.
>
> **
> I hope other political parties also acknowledge the issue of disability and
> start taking affirmative actions to change the situation of disabled
> community of our country.
>
> With regards
> Shampa Sengupta

Cheers,