Dear Friend,
I will limit myself only to the legal requirements. One, officially
lodge a police complaint, quoting the IME no of the phone. Invariably
collect an acknowledgement of the complaint  and preserve it. If you
are lucky, you may get back your phone. Otherwise the acknowledgement
will protect you from any future complications. Two, with
acknowledgement, you can ask the service provider to block your no and
may even get a duplicate SIM which will enable to continue with your
original no.
Good luck.
Niranjan