By Anne Wafula Strike
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 6 September 2012 17.38 BST
Dedeline Mibamba Kimbata (left), a Congolese Paralympic athlete, had
never raced in a race chair before she arrived at the London 2012
Games. Photograph: Nick Ansell/PA
While all eyes have been on Oscar Pistorius and the "battle of the
blades", many other anomalies, inequalities and injustices in
Paralympic sport have been overlooked. As a wheelchair racer, I am
passionate about the sport: the adrenaline rush on the track, the
medals, even the long hours of training. However, I have encountered
many disturbing things during my career: in particular, a lack of
clarity surrounding both classification of disability and selection,
and the absence of a level playing field for those competing.

Classification continues to be a controversial issue. In 2008 at the
Beijing Games, Rebecca Chin was disqualified for not being disabled
enough. I was left paralysed from the chest down after suffering from
polio when I was two. When I began racing competitively, I was given a
permanent classification of T53 – this is for athletes with no trunk
function, and the correct category for my disability. Yet I was pulled
out of a major competition in 2006 and reclassified into a more
able-bodied category (T54) after a cursory medical and fitness test.

A subsequent expert medical report confirmed that I was paralysed from
the chest down: the prerequisite for T53. Yet despite the overwhelming
evidence, I lost the six-year battle to be returned to my rightful
category – a category in which, based on the racing times I've
achieved in recent years, I would win medals for Great Britain. Unlike
in the Olympic Games, the criteria for Paralympic selection are not
transparent. Despite being ranked number one in the UK in the 100m
sprint, and number seven in the world, I was not selected for the 2012
Games.

And then there is the issue of equipment – illustrated by the
Pistorius row over blade length, but not confined to it. Many disabled
athletes rely on equipment, and this varies in quality. Superior
wheelchairs and state-of-the-art prostheses can give athletes an
unfair advantage over less well-equipped rivals. How can athletes from
less well-off countries possibly compete as equals when they have no
access to any sort of equipment, let alone the latest Paralympic mod
cons? Haitian athletes Nephtalie Jean Lois and Josue Cajuste had to
borrow equipment when they arrived in the UK. In addition, I am the
UK's only black female Paralympian, and more could be done by UK
Athletics and others to encourage more black athletes to get involved.
When it comes to able-bodied sport, of course each body is different.
But what they have in common is that all of them are whole and healthy
and strong. Whether a runner comes from Rwanda or Rochdale, as long as
they have ground under their feet to practise on, all have an equal
opportunity to win.

As disabled athletes, our imperfect bodies will always be unequal: the
swimmers with short legs competing against those with no legs; those
with one leg racing against those with two. Some of these inequalities
cannot be ironed out. But others are deliberately manufactured by
human beings and must be eliminated. While it is wonderful that so
many people want to celebrate the real achievements of disabled
athletes, few shine a light into some of the darker corners of this
sport. The same rigour that roots out injustice in able-bodied elite
sport must be applied to disabled elite sport.

Many Paralympic competitors are inspirational, demonstrating
exceptional athleticism and overcoming tremendous adversity. For me
there is no bigger thrill than tearing round the track with the wind
in my face. But I want to compete with my peers, not with those who
are more able-bodied than I am. And I want athletes like the Congolese
wheelchair racer, Dedeline Mibamba Kimbata, to have a wheelchair as
good as that of her rivals from richer countries, so that she can
compete fairly with western racers. The winners and losers of the
disabled world's most prestigious sporting event should not be
determined by global postcodes and bank balances, nor by arbitrary
classification or selection decisions. But sadly they are.

More needs to be done to ensure that all disabled athletes are
competing in their rightful class: the selection process must be made
accountable. Athletes from poorer countries must get more support so
that they can compete as equals. Ensuring justice in Paralympic sport
is far more challenging than in the able-bodied equivalent, but in
order to preserve the sport's integrity, it must be done.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/06/paralympic-injustice-oscar-pistorius

--
Avinash Shahi
MPhil Research Learner