From: Geetha Shamanna
Sent:  09.09.2012, 1.30  pm
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Any update on accessibility of washing machine?

Hi Prashant,

Here in the UK where blind people campaign for accessibility of devices so
that everything talks, I haven't so far come across a talking washing
machine. I personally think talking washing machines are perhaps an
overkill, and the extra resources required to produce them could be used
more effectively elsewhere.

I have been using a front-loading washing machine for several years now;
this neither beeps nor talks. I use a few tactile markers on various
buttons. All I do to start washing is to press a few buttons. Since every
washing machine has no more than four or five buttons, it is not difficult
to memorise what each one does.

What you need to stay away from are washing machines with touch screens. But
there are enough manufacturers in India who still produce washing machines
with tactile buttons.

Geetha