Hello,
Finally seeing any questions from your side after so long. Being a
very recent user of cane, I  can't refrain myself from answering.
1. q: do you use cane for indoor mobility as well?
a: yes, how can I find stares or turns without using cane? specially
when I don't have any sighted guide with me.
2. q: do you need sighted assistance while using cane?
a: it totally depends on the situation. some times when you are not
familiar to a particular place then, there is no such cane which
replace any sighted assistance. Even when so called normal people go
in a building for the first time they can't prevent them selves from
asking for a particular office/ place so why can't we? and yes, after
getting familiar we can rock alone as well.
3. Q: how do you deal with loss of dignity while using a cane?
a: I haven't experienced any such situation since I started using
cane. and if people show too much sympethy then, I gentally ask them
to chill.:) it is as simple as that.
4. Generally I don't use cane with either of my friends or family
members but I always keep it with me in case of any emergency. And
there is 1 who can't guide me properly about stares so I always use my
cane with him despite of all his apprihentions.
5. when u use cane then, u are not isolated you can simpally follow
your friends just by either their footsteps or voice whereas, without
cane you will surely need a helping hand. and yes, if I am alone then
everybuddy will address me while saying something instead of my cane:)
which mostly happens when u are with a sighted person.
Hope My thoughts may be of some help for you.
regards

On 1/17/13, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj10...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope you all are having a wonderful January.
> I am always on the lookout for new mobility options.
> My preferred means of independent mobility is with the help of  guide dogs.
> Although I do believe that it is possible to face all challenges
> relating to the law, public awareness about guide dogs in India, etc,
> it is equally true that this will require a lot of time and energy.
> I will surely invest that time and energy at some point in the future,
> but at this stage I am not in a position to take that step because I
> have to concentrate on  attaining my professional goals.
> So, in light of the aforementioned reasons, I  have started thinking
> about using the white cane more extensively than  I currently do.
>  I   would be really grateful if you could answer the following
> questions and help me to make an informed decision.
>
> 1. Do you use the cane in indoor environments like your college,
> office, etc or only when you are  outdoors?
> 2. To what extent do you need sighted assistance in addition to your cane?
> 3. What, according to you, is the best way to deal with the sympathy
> and/or loss of dignity that sometimes accompanies the use of the cane?
> 4. Do you use your cane when you are with your  family/friends, or
> only when you're alone?
> 5. Do you think that using the cane sometimes makes you feel isolated
> and prevents you from interacting with other people like  you would if
> you were with a sighted guide?
>
> Any other tips/views will also  be appreciated.
> Thanks so much in advance for your assistance. :)
>
> Best,
> Rahul

Ajay Minocha
Mob : +91-7827188455