All

This post did not get to the list.
I am blinking and numb reading this. Totally dismayed.
Read on
Harish Kotian
Quoting:

Republic Day tableau calls disabled 'powerless'
Jan 23, 2013, 03.10AM IST TNN [ Jayashree Nandi ]

A tableau at the Republic Day rehearsal on Tuesday
NEW DELHI: It's supposed to empower the disabled, but if the newly formed
department of disability affairs has its way, it would call itself the
'department of the powerless'. At least that's the name it has given itself in
Hindi - nishaktata karya vibhag. Now, to the anger of activists, even a tableau
for people with disabilities that will be part of this year's Republic Day
parade has the same inscription in Hindi.

The activists, who noticed the name on the tableau three days ago, want it
changed immediately. But that is easier demanded than done.

"With difficulty we had managed to convince the government to have a tableau on
the disabled. When we finally have one, the inscription on it is so offensive
that it has ruined all the work we had done on the issue. To add further
insult, the commentator will repeat the word nishakt constantly and the entire
country will listen to it. It's an abusive word," said Javed Abidi, convener of
Disability Rights Group.

The defence ministry has agreed to change the word on the tableau but says it
needs a written request from the department of disability affairs. Stuti
Kacker, secretary, ministry of social justice and empowerment, said the
department was trying its best to change the name. "I can only refer the
matter. We hope a decision will be taken quickly," she said.

Activists say it's derogatory, demand change of name

Even if the inscription on the tableau is changed, the name of the department
will remain till a change is approved by the Cabinet. Poonam Natarajan,
chairwoman of National Trust, agreed that nishaktata is an inappropriate term.
"Of course, it has to be changed. I think they are trying to change it to
viklang jan karyashala. But the change has to be made at the Cabinet level,"
she said.

"We noticed the word a few days ago while rehearsing. It's very derogatory. In
fact, state governments such as Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh still use the
word apang (crippled), which is also demeaning. There is very little awareness
about disability righ8ts," said Pradeep Raj, a disability rights activist who
is rehearsing for the Republic Day with 22 other youths with disabilities.
Pradeep's group first noticed the inscription on the tableau.

Abidi felt 'nishaktata' reminded him of the word 'handicapped', which was also
considered offensive by disability rights activists. "We have moved on. No one
uses the word handicapped anymore. It originated after the world war when
disabled soldiers used to beg on the streets of Europe with a cap in their
hands. In the 1990s, the term was phased out as it was considered offensive.
Now even United Nations uses the word 'disability'. In Hindi it should be
viklang and definitely not nishakt," he said.

Special: Republic Day

With thanks and regards

                                (Rajesh Asudani)
Assistant General Manager
Reserve Bank of India
Nagpur
Cell: 9420397185
o: +91 712 2806846
R: 2591349

(In youth you want things, and then in middle-age you want to want them.)

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, smses or makes calls
asking for personal information like your bank account details, passwords, etc.
It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any manner
to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.