Sight lost, her securities are hard work & resolve
The writer has posted comments on this articlePartha SinhaPartha Sinha, TNN |
Mar 28, 2013, 02.33 AM IST

MUMBAI: It Bait was a mid-November afternoon in 2012. Vishakha More was in
Jaipur, combining post-Diwali celebrations with a family reunion. She then got
a call from a friend who informed her that she had been given the Best Employee
Award by the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. About three
months later, More, an assistant general manager for market regulation at Sebi,
was at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi, where she received the citation from
President Pranab Mukherjee.

It was a high point in the 41-year-old More's career, who, before joining the
regulator in 2004, had struggled for years to get a permanent job despite
having excelled in academics and extra-curricular activities. More has been
disadvantaged because of her blindness, which had developed during her early
years.

In 1993, she graduated in political science (honours) from Delhi's Hindu
College. Three years later, she completed her part-time MBA from Delhi's Fore
School of Management, where she was a gold medallist. Outside of academics, she
also completed a special course in trekking from the world-famous Himalayan
Mountaineering Institute in Darjeeling and subsequently trekked at an altitude
of about 13,000 feet in the Himalayas.

After joining the regulatory body, her life changed completely, so much so that
she now says she can't think of life beyond Sebi and doesn't even want to. At
work she uses two softwares, JAWS (Job Access With Speech) and OCRS (Optical
Character Recognition Software), to read files and emails, while her notes and
markers are in Braille. With anything handwritten she receives help from
colleagues.

"My success, my 100%, is always a combination of the efforts of the people I
work with and those of my own," More said when a colleague pointed out that she
was one of the most capable officers in Sebi's market regulations department.

After spending nearly 14 years in the city, she calls herself a Mumbaikar and
feels strongly about the sense of safety the city offers -- from travelling to
buying vegetables, to shopping and so on. Of late, however, with all the cases
of atrocities against women in the news, she's slightly perturbed. "I feel
strongly about those who do not have the facilities that I enjoy," More said.

Does she miss anything? "Yes. I miss long walks. I want to walk alone around
the place I live. But whenever I have tried I have almost always ended up at a
wrong place," she said. So, what's the solution? "I think the roads should be
more straight than what they are, which would be of great help to people like
me. My feeling is such sensibilities will develop over time."

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Sight-lost-her-securities-are-hard-work-resolve/articleshow/19249533.cms?

Regards,

Shiv