Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:47 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Iteration information in excel

The Iteration option is useful for performing calculations on a cell
containing circular reference repeatedly. If a cell refers to itself
in a formula then it is said to have a circular reference. For example
, the cell B3 containing the below formula is said to have a circular
reference:

=IF(B3 < 1000, B3 + 50, B3 + 100)

The maximum value 100 in the Options dialog box means that the
calculation "B3 + 50" or "B3 + 100" is performed 100 times every time
the worksheet is calculated. Pressing the F9 function key initiates
calculations on the worksheet. The above formula result would be 9000.
Press F9 and you would see the result in B3 change to 19000.

If you change the value from 100 (default) to 1 then the calculation
would be performed only once. You would see the initial value of the
formula as 50 followed by 100, 150, 200 and so on.

Hope this makes sense!