hello,
following piece of information should help you to resolve your queries:

Filing of Complaint & Procedures

The following can file a complaint under the Act:

A consumer
Any voluntary consumer organization registered under the Societies
Registration Act, 1860 or under the Companies Act, 1956 or under any
other law for the time being in force.
The Central Government
The State Government or Union Territory Administrations.
One or more consumers on behalf of numerous consumers who are having
the same interest
What constitutes a complaint?

Under the Act, a complaint means any allegation in writing, made by a
complainant in regard to one or more of the following:-

Any unfair trade practice, as defined in the Act or restrictive trade
practices like tie-up sales adopted by any trader.
One or more defects in goods: when goods are hazardous to life and
safety, when used, are being offered for sale to public in
contravention of provisions of any law for the time being in force.
Deficiencies in services.
A trader charging excess of price:
Fixed by or under any law for the time being in force; or
Displayed on goods; or
Displayed on any packet containing such good;
Where to file a complaint?

If the cost of goods or services and compensation asked for is up to
rupees five lakh, then the complaint can be filed in the District
Forum which has been notified by the State Government for the district
where the cause of action has arisen or where the opposite party
resides. A complaint can also be filed at a place where the branch
office of the opposite party is located.

If the cost of goods or services and compensation asked for is more
than rupees five lakh but less than rupees twenty lakh, then the
complaint can be filed before the State Commission, notified by the
State Government or Union Territory Concerned.

If the cost of goods or services and compensation asked for exceeds
rupees twenty lakh then

The complaint can be filed before the National Commission at New Delhi.

Procedures for filing complaints

There is no fee for filing a complaint before the District Forum, the
State Commission or the National Commission. (A stamp paper is also
not required) There should be 3 to 5 copies of the complaint on plain
paper.

The complainant or his authorised agent can present the complaint in person.
The complaint can be sent by post to the appropriate Forum / Commission.
A complaint should contain the following information:

The name, description and the address of the complainant.
The name, description and address of the opposite party or parties, as
the case may be, as far as they can be ascertained;
The facts relating to complaint and when and where it arose;
Documents, if any, in support of the allegations contained in the complaint.
The relief which the complainant is seeking.
The complaint should be signed by the complainant or his authorised agent.

The complaint is to be filed within two years from the date on which
cause of action has arisen.

Relief available to the consumers

Depending on the nature of relief sought by the consumer and the
facts, the Redressal Forums may give orders for one or more of the
following reliefs:

(a) Removal of defects from the goods,

(b) Replacement of the goods;

(c) Refund of the price paid;

(d) Award of compensation for the loss or injury suffered;

(e) Removal of defects or deficiencies in the services;

(f) Discontinuance of unfair trade practices or restrictive trade
practices or direction not to repeat them;

(g) Withdrawal of the hazardous goods from being offered to sale; or

(h) Award for adequate costs to parties.

Procedure for filing the appeal:-

(a) Appeal against the decision of a District Forum can be filed
before the State Commission within a period of thirty days. Appeal
against the decision of a State Commission can be filed before the
National Commission within thirty days. Appeal against the orders of
the National Commission can be filed before the Supreme Court within a
period of thirty days.

(b) There is no fee for filing appeal before the State Commission or
the National Commission.

(c) Procedure for filing the appeal is the same as that of complaint,
except the application should be accompanied by the orders of the
District/State Commission as the case may be and grounds for filing
the appeal should be specified.

Speedy Disposal:-

The thrust of the Act is to provide simple, speedy and inexpensive
redressal to consumers' grievances. To ensure speedy disposal of
consumers' grievances, the following provisions have been incorporated
in the Act and the rules farmed thereunder:

It is obligatory on the complainant or appellant or their authorised
agents and the opposite parties to appear before the Forum/Commission
on the date of hearing or any other date to which hearing could be
adjourned.
The National Commission, State Commission and District Forums are
required to decide complaints, as far as possible, within a period of
three months from the date of notice received by the opposite party
where complaint does not require analysis or testing of the
commodities and within five months if it requires analysis or testing
of commodities.
The National Commission and State Commissions are required to decide
the appeal as far as possible, within 90 days from the first date of
hearing.

do let me know in case of any further doubt as i have delt such cases
in this forums personally in capacity of advocate for my clients
earlier.

thanks,
mukesh.

On 4/24/13, akhilesh <akhil.akhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Saji,
> Trying to answer your queries.
> 1. How can we file a petition ?
> Try to google the complaint sample for consumer forum and you'd fined
> many. It'll give you a fair idea of preparing your complaint.
> 2.  Does it require an hireing an Advocate?
> At least At district level you don't need to hire any advocate. If
> you're confident enough and put your facts across, that will served
> the purpose. To be frank, at State level and national level the
> Opposit parties are represented by experienced lawyers so hireing an
> advocate is highly recommended.
> 3. How long the case come to  its  conclusion?
> Depending upon the claim of complainant and delaying tactics of
> Opposit Party. However, don't expect any quick decision. these forums
> are clogged like any other civil court. So something between one year
> to 3-5 years.
> 4. Can we file a complain  against Banks and their Services?
> Yes. you can.
>

> On 4/23/13, Saji Mathews <sajidoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Friends,
>>
>> Kindly throw some light on Consumer Forum .  I have following quiries
>> of the same   :
>>
>> 1. How can we file a petition ?
>> 2.  Does it require an hireing an Advocate?
>> 3. How long the case come to  its  conclusion?
>> 4. Can we file a complain  against Banks and their Services?
>>

>> I request our legal expert also  to thro some light on the same.
>>
>> Waiting with anticipation ....
>>

>> SAJI
>>
>> --
>> Saji Mathews
>> Manager(Admin & Vigilance)
>> Food Corporation of India
>> Distt.Office,
>> Dehradun.UK.
>> +91 9719152333

>> of
>> mobile phones / Tabs on:

> Akhilesh Dahiya,
> Advocate.
> Mobile: +91 9818798780
> Email: akhil.akhi...@gmail.com
> New Delhi

Mukesh jain
Email:
mukesh.jai...@gmail.com
muk...@mukeshjain.org

website:
www.mukeshjain.org
Skype: mukeshjain211
Mob: 09977165123
"Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them
master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight. "

Helen Keller