-----Original message-----
From: avinash shahi
Sent:  25/04/2013, 10:06  pm
To: accessindia
Subject: [AI] This disability ruling reveals new depths of political
dishonesty, By Zui Williams

Guardian: 24/4/2013
In court 28 of the Royal Courts of Justice this morning, a
 decision was reached about the independent living fund. Worth £320
million a year, it's currently controlled by the Department for Work
and Pensions and intended to ensure that 20,000 people with severe
disabilities can live as independently as possible. Following a
consultation last year, the government announced that it was going to
scrap it. The case was brought by five ILF users on the basis that the
consultation was inadequate, and didn't fulfil its public-sector
equality duty.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/disability-ruling-new-depths-dishonesty
During the hearing the claimants discovered that the consultation
wasn't the half of it: the DWP was forced to disclose that the main
reason for closing down the fund was that the money simply wouldn't be
there after 2015. Since the department had always publicly said that
it wasn't stopping the money but merely moving it to local authorities
in the name of efficiency, this information was certainly new, if not
unexpected.

No matter, concluded the judge; the consultation didn't breach the
equality duty requirement. The decision to close the fund doesn't
breach it. The minister for disabled people had been made aware of her
obligations – and therefore her duty had been met. Who knew that would
be what "equality duty" would boil down to? That you could trample on
whoever you liked so long as you were aware of which people you were
trampling, and how severely?

But getting back to court 28. It's an inaccessible courtroom, so the
people who brought the action couldn't get into the room to hear the
verdict. I know, yet more leftie bleating – when am I going to just
face the fact that this country is out of money and we can no longer
afford for disabled people to be pandered to with their ceaseless
demands for ramps and handrails and other apparatus which, in fact,
already exists elsewhere in the Royal Courts of Justice. To stick to
my bleating leftie guns for a minute, this is like trying Desmond Tutu
in a whites-only courtroom. The message, very clearly, is that
disabled people have no right to open justice. Adam Lotun, a
50-year-old wheelchair user outside the courts, had a fractionally
kinder interpretation: "I don't think the judge wanted to see any
disabled faces in court – with the verdict he was giving."

Louise Whitfield, of the solicitors' firm Deighton Pierce Glynn, said
of the verdict: "We would have expected the judge to grapple with the
public sector equality duty more, it's such an important issue. We're
talking about 20,000 people. It's quite unusual to have a judgment
like this. I have not had a judgment before where I have found it
difficult to understand the reasoning."

But politics often finds a way round judicial verdicts, and it's
towards politicians rather than judges that our ire should be
directed. Certain points must be underlined. The first is that the
closure of this fund runs utterly counter to any promise from any
party in any manifesto, under the guise of austerity or anything else.
Nobody said "we will claw public money back from the severely
disabled". Even politicians who make it their rhetorical
stock-in-trade to portray disability as an elaborate benefit scam
would not, indeed could not, be open about withdrawing money from
people already wrestling with such disadvantage. So it's important to
keep talking about this: if a measure is so shaming that politicians
won't even broach it, yet it passes through anyway, it would be to all
our shame if that went unremarked.

Second, the DWP lied about the purpose of closing the independent
living fund. It didn't admit that the money wouldn't be there after
2015 until it was legally required to. Whenever this government comes
out with an idea that sounds, for British politics, unusually unjust
or barbaric or ill-conceived, it usually has its roots in the US (free
schools, food stamps, dash for gas, shares for rights, privatisation
of health services). What I mind the most is the readiness with which
the government will now lie: the prime minister will lie about the
national debt; the secretary of state will lie about immigration, the
chancellor will lie about benefit claimants, they'll be rapped over
the knuckles by the Office for National Statistics or Office for
Budgetary Responsibility, take their punishment and go straight out
and lie again. So, in the words of Nicholas Tomalin, talking about
politicians in a (real) war: "Never forget that they lie, they lie,
they lie."

Third, this is not about the money. A government that is prepared to
spend £1bn on tax breaks for high earners' nannying costs is not
cutting £320m for practical reasons but for ideological ones. They
want to shrink government, starting with those most in need. There
must be Conservatives who are disgusted by this; they need to start
making more noise.

Fourth, and related, this will probably end up costing more – another
thing to emerge during the case is this warning: "Users are unlikely
to receive the same level of funding after reassessment. This may
undermine care packages and may mean that some users, such as those
with particularly high care packages, may not be able to live
independently in their own homes." Louise Whitfield said, almost as if
accustomed to a certain legal detachment and taken by surprise: "We
are very, very worried about our claimants and what will happen to
them if they lose their care. But here, you have to focus on the
process". The claimants have announced the

--
Avinash Shahi
MPhil Research Scholar

excellent my dear friend. You have expressed the valid points.