*Blind Boy blazes trail, scores **95% in science* *Kartik Sawhney with his
mother.*** *         NEW DELHI: Kartik Sawhney had to wage a battle before
being allowed to study science in class XI. The CBSE was not convinced
Kartik, who is completely blind, would be able to handle the 'visual
inputs' - graphs, diagrams, models - required for science. The doubters got
their answer on Monday. Kartik scored a 95% aggregate in science with
computers in class XII.*** *The DPS, R K Puram, student is now off to
Stanford University to study computer science. If he had his way, however,
Kartik would have studied in an IIT in India. But changes in IIT-joint
entrance exam rules introduced last year have made it impossible for blind
students to qualify, he said.*** *Kartik said, till last year, blind
students taking the JEE had "exemption from visual input". They could
attempt only the theory questions and their ranks would be determined by
their performance in those. "We could also have a scribe and reader from
science background," he said.*** *But this year, blind students were no
longer exempted. Neither were they allowed to use assistive technology.
"They expected me to multiply 11,652 with 651 mentally," said Kartik. "And
according to the new policy, I could have a scribe and reader only from
humanities or commerce streams."*** *It is argued that a scribe with a
science background can help the candidate with his answers. As a result,
Kartik had to work with readers who were not able to identify symbols and
terminology in question papers. "I've had one reader describe a symbol as
an "ulta V", he said. It could've been a pi or a lambda. "But I don't
know," he said, "I've never seen a 'pi'."*** *If the education system had
prevailed, Kartik wouldn't have come this far. He had to write more than
two dozen letters to the CBSE and its controller of exams, had an NGO
campaign and his school negotiate for him before he was allowed to opt for
science in class XI.*** *"It was very difficult to convince the authorities
to let me study science," says Kartik, the son of a car-accessories store
owner. Once he finally got to study science, his school - Delhi Public
School, R K Puram - found ways to help him. "For practicals, the teacher
explained the apparatus and in the test, I got multiple choice questions
based on the practical curriculum," he said.*** *Kartik's case is
exceptional, said George Abraham, CEO of Delhi-based Score Foundation,
"After class VIII, most blind were exempted from studying maths and
science. They would be offered subjects like music. Now, some schools allow
science but the number is low." Abraham adding that from 2012, CBSE has
allowed multiple-choice questions in lieu of practicals and computer-based
exams.*** *In school, Kartik was even allowed to perform experiments, but
none that were hazardous, involving toxic chemicals. He also used a range
of assistive devices and software - he used one to convert graphs into
verbal descriptions. But there was little material available that was
accessible.*** *"In India, we don't generally use ebooks. I used a
screen-reader but didn't have text books on the computer," he said.*** *Kartik
painstakingly keyed in all the text. "I had to do it all by myself," he
said. Nothing comes to him easily, not even CBSE results. There was a
glitch in his scores that had him rushing to his school in the morning. By
evening, CBSE had rectified the error.*** *But all that work has paid off
as he leaves for Stanford on September 2. He was extremely happy with the
way the SATs are conducted. "You're allowed readers and they give you test
booklets where the word is written for the symbols," he says.*** *Kartik
has never lived away from his family - his father owns a store in Lajpat
Nagar, mother's a homemaker and he has a twin sister and an elder brother.
"I am a little nervous about leaving home but when I think about the IITs
and what they did, I become confident."*** *Email this article to a Friend**
* *With thanks and regards*** * (Rajesh Asudani)*** *Assistant General
Manager*** *Reserve Bank of India*** *Nagpur*** *(In youth you want things,
and then in middle-age you want to want them.)*** *