Dear all Access Indians, Captchas are available in both graphic and audio form
but can be difficult to interpret to print-disabled. In the United States, the
National Federation for the Blind says its members are unable to sign
E-petition calling for the printed material to be more accessible to
visually-impaired because of "Captcha" security. A Captcha is a graphic or
sound of a random word or a number that users must key in to prove they are
human. The petition, on the White House website, has received just 8,200
signatures. But the White House says its site complies with US accessible
standards. Chris Danielsen of the US-based Federation for the Blind told the
Politico website that he realized there was problem after publicizing the
petition. "We had asked people to sign the E-petition and we're getting these
E-mails saying people can't, the Constitution allows all of us to petition our
government for a redressal of grievance, it says nothing about needing to be
able to see in ord
 er to do so," he said. Damon Rose, the editor of BBC's Ouch blog for the
people with disabilities, said: Captcha graphics are nightmare for the
visually-impaired who use their screen-readers to interpret the computer rather
than their eyes, but screen-readers can't manage them. Ironically, if I see an
audio capture, I tend not to bother with it because it's usually such a poor
experience, some of them sound like aliens talking and they put weird
background noises over them, Rose added. It's bit of a joke in the blind
community. As a result, many visually-impaired people could not contribute to
debate and discussions on message-boards and blogs. Generally speaking, it's
the most hated pieces of user interaction for the blind community. Have anyone
of you encountered such a Captcha problem throughout the journey of access?
Warm regards.
David Richards.
E-mail: drvvrj...@gmail.com.

Sent from my Nokia phone