http://www.deccanchronicle.com/130711/news-current-affairs/article/victim-turns-anti-graft-crusader

After getting orders issued by the Tamilnadu government, finally Tamil
Selvi has got her certificate, thanks to the efforts of the Tamilnadu
Association for the Rights of All Types of Differently Abled and Caregivers
(TARATDAC), an affiliate of the National Platform for the Rights of the
Disabled (NPRD)

*Chennai: *Disabled woman Tamil Selvi (30) has won the war against
corruption. She refused to pay a bribe to get a medical certificate from
government doctors though that delayed her train concession for about a
year.

Her grievance has been discussed in many forums and based on her complaint,
the health secretary issued orders to the government doctors to issue
medical certificates on time. He warned that officials demanding bribes
would face severe action. Now, Tamil Selvi, a native of Dharm­apuri, got
her medical certificate and also became an anti-corruption crusader in her
neighbourhood.

Tamil Selvi was in need of the medical certificate to avail railway pass.
As she is an orthopedically disabled person, she is entitled to concession
in railway fare. When she asked doctors to provide medical certificate
after the check-up, she was asked to come after a few days. Initially, she
thought the doctors were busy.

“I realised that they would issue the medical certificate only if I
grea­sed their palm. I refused to pay,” she said. The disabled people need
the medical certificate to get their ide­n­­tity card from the state
disabled welfare department and other welfare from the government. “I
complai­ned to other doctors but no one came to my rescue.”

“The Tamil Nadu association for the rights of disabled and care givers
(TARATDAC) in Chennai took up my case and brought it to the notice of the
health secretary,” she said.

Health secretary Dr J. Radhakrishnan issued a circular directing the
doctors that medical certificates should be given on time. “I got my
medical certificate from the same doctor who had refused it earlier.

My one year struggle has given confidence  to disabled persons that their
certificates can be recei­ved without bribing doctors,” she grinned.

(If you would not like to continue receiving mails from us please send us a
mail with the subject "unsubscribe")