Magnification on the move - Student with low vision overcomes exam challenges

Continuing our study on assistive technology for people with low vision,
BarrierBreak has realized that its not only the classrooms that needs to
be well equipped with aids for students with disabilities but students
also need aids at home or resource centers where they can get access to
study materials for information. Inclusive education is the need for the
hour and the right assistive technology can help students with low vision
get equal access to education.

The Case

Amit Bagwe is a person with low vision. He is a student of the Institute
for Distance and Open Learning University of Mumbai, pursuing B.Sc IT. For
someone with visual difficulty like him, it becomes a challenge to read
from the study material and reference books. Most of his subjects consist
of mathematical equations and formulas, use of symbols, graphs, diagrams,
code writing and other technical stuff. For example when it comes to
mathematics, concepts like differentiation, integration, complex numbers,
vector notations etc consist of formulas with the use of numbers and
symbols as subscript and superscript, which are sometimes difficult to
read even for a person with normal vision.

Imagine how difficult would it be for him to read from a print of the
codes of a C++ or a JAVA program!

Although, he uses scribes during his examination, there is always
confusion while his writer is reading out the equations and codes for him.
There are too many things which he could not understand as he could not
see them and was being read out by someone. He could also not answer many
questions as his time was wasted in explaining things to the writer.

Solution & Impact

BarrierBreak introduced Amit to Optelec Compact+, a portable video
magnifier that he could easily carry with him wherever he goes. Due to the
crisp and clear magnification of the Compact+ he could not only read his
notes with comfort but could also very easily write on his own. He found
it easier to read all the mathematical equations, formulas, symbols,
graphs etc on its 4.3inch TFT full color screen with 2X-10X magnification
with normal as well as high-contrast color schemes.

The Compact+ proved to be very beneficial to Amit as he could not only
read print from the question paper but could also use his pen to write
down and explain when his writer is unable to understand his dictation. In
this way he could efficiently utilize his precious time attempting more
questions.

When asked Amit whether he was happy using the Compact+ he said "Yes, of
course! Without the Compact+ I would find myself struggling with
magnifying glasses straining my eyes while I read. But it is only because
of this amazing Assistive Technology device that I can comfortably study
for longer period of time hence giving myself the opportunity to excel in
my academics."

Optelec Compact+

The Optelec Compact+ is a pocket-size video magnifier designed for the
benefit of people with low vision and elderly that offers freedom and
independence in the smallest and most user-friendly design, anywhere and
anytime. For more details write to sa...@barrierbreak.com or call
022-26860486 (extn 111)

About BarrierBreak

BarrierBreak is an Accessibility and Assistive Technology firm in India.
BarrierBreak, a brand of Net Systems Informatics (I) Private Limited is
the pioneer of Accessibility and Assistive Technology in India and the
first company to set up an Accessibility lab as well. Our teams are
aligned with our vision and mission to help our clients to provide
accessible solutions. To know more visit www.barrierbreak.com

Thanks & Regards
Ramya