Bridging the distance issue of viewing the Blackboard - A classroom
solution for the low vision

As a part of our study on assistive technology for people with low vision,
Barrierbreak realized that often the complexities of students with low
vision are not as evident as they are for students who are blind. Low
vision students generally have no or very poor distance vision making it
difficult for them to read from the black board in the classrooms or get
information from diagrams, charts, graphs or overhead screens. Equipping
the classroom with the right technology can enable a student with low
vision get access to education and information as any other student.

The Case

Shubhi Shadiza is a student with low vision of the Second Year Bachelor of
Arts at the St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai and her subjects are English,
Economics and Psychology. She decided to continue her education with St.
Xavier’s as they provide her with in house resources that aids her in her
studies.

Due to low vision, Shubhi was not able to see the blackboard as clearly
and had to rely on a one to one teaching approach or help from her
friends. She had gone through an inclusive education and had faced this
problem for most years of her life. This does affect her learning in a
class especially when it comes to subjects like Economics where she needs
to understand, say the diagram that the professor might be showing on the
blackboard. Even though she loved Economics as a subject, she was unable
to cope with the graphs in class when the professor would explain them on
the black board and found this to be depressing. It was also difficult for
her to do certain things like sketching & painting and thus distancing her
from the others and the reality at hand.

Solution & Impact

As a part of our initiative and experiment with XRCVC (Xaviers Resource
Centre for the Visually Challenged) we introduced Optelec ClearNote for
Shubhi in her classroom. ClearNote is a portable optical device that has
been specially designed for people with low vision. This lightweight unit
makes transportation to school or the office easy and is ideal for near,
distance or self viewing. BarrierBreak provided a one to one training to
Shubhi on how the device needs to be used and then asked her to use it on
her own for a month for free.

Using this device Shubhi could not only access the blackboard in the
classroom or other distance objects easily but even a cap of the pen that
lied down a few feet away from her. She was also able to enjoy painting
and sketching and could see and correct any little mistake in her work.
She was no longer depended on her teachers, friends or volunteers to
comprehend and study graphs in Economics. Moreover, she could now read
each and every book that she would like to without it having to be scanned
/ edited / typed or read by someone else using the ClearNote

She adds “I was lucky enough to be a part of this experiment where I got a
chance to use the Clear Note for more than a month which I utilized
completely. I used this tool for two and a half hours every day for the
time period I was allotted. I have even used it to read banners and
recognize faces from far and have succeeded in every task. Overall, it has
made my life easier and I now feel like any other student in my college.
It is one of the greatest boons in my life as now I am much more
independent than before.”

>From a BarrierBreak perspective, it has the potential of providing a
solution beyond the classroom by allowing Shubhi to sketch and paint.
Shubhi says “Clear note even made sketching and painting possible for me
as I could see the little mistakes in my work and could correct them on my
own. It helped me change my life and has made it simpler and easier than
before.” There is more to life beyond studies. Solutions can sometimes go
beyond and provide opportunities to people!

Dr. Sam Taraporevala, Director, XRCVC adds “At the XRCVC we believe very
strongly that technology can help create a level playing field. The
experiment with the clear note proves this point. Such technologies if
made widely available would be able to bridge many a divide. We feel very
satisfied with the results and look forward to the next positive steps”.

Optelec ClearNote

The Optelec ClearNote is an USB-compatible video magnifier that creates
the ultimate workstation for low vision students and mobile professionals.
Know more:
http://barrierbreak.com/assistive-technology/visual-impairment/desktop-magnifier/optelec-clearnote-portable.html

About XRCVC

XRCVC is a state of the art support centre, aiming to work towards the
holistic development of visually challenged persons, located at St.
Xavier’s College, Mumbai.

About BarrierBreak

BarrierBreak is an Accessibility and Assistive Technology firm in India.
BarrierBreak, a brand of Net Systems Informatics (I) Private Limited is
the pioneer of Accessibility and Assistive Technology in India and the
first company to set up an Accessibility lab as well. Our teams are
aligned with our vision and mission to help our clients to provide
accessible solutions. www.barrierbreak.com

Thanks & Regards
Ramya