Page 1

http://sgo.sagepub.com/

SAGE Open

http://sgo.sagepub.com/content/3/3/2158244013499144

The online version of this article can be found at:

DOI: 10.1177/2158244013499144

2013 3:

SAGE Open

Nayreen Daruwalla, Shruti Chakravarty, Sangeeta Chatterji, Neena Shah
More, Glyn Alcock, Sarah Hawkes and David Osrin

Violence Against Women With Disability in Mumbai, India: A Qualitative Study

Published by:

http://www.sagepublications.com

can be found at:

SAGE Open

Additional services and information for

http://sgo.sagepub.com/cgi/alerts

Email Alerts:

Subscriptions:

http://www.sagepub.com/journalsReprints.nav

Reprints:

SAGE Open are in each case credited as the source of the article.

permission from the Author or SAGE, you may further copy, distribute,
transmit, and adapt the article, with the condition that the Author
and

© 2013 the Author(s). This article has been published under the terms
of the Creative Commons Attribution License. Without requesting

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 2

SAGE Open

July-September 2013: 1–9

© The Author(s) 2013

DOI: 10.1177/2158244013499144

sgo.sagepub.com

Article

Background

I think our society gives too much importance to what is

considered normal. Normal as in, if someone is physically fit or

is married . . . whatever their thinking may be, they will be

considered normal and they will be given importance. But, if

there is disability . . . then this is considered wrong and there is

no acceptance from society . . . (D01, 30 years, visual

impairment)

Social norms in India are influenced by values such as pro-

ductivity, the right to private property, and patriarchy

(Ahmed-Ghosh, 2004). Much is made of the rule of law, the

institution of marriage (Goel, 2005), the family as a social

unit, and the importance of religion. The family—able-bodied,

heterosexual, and engaged in socially acceptable liveli-

hoods—is the fundamental social unit. The history of the

Indian women’s movement has been one of focus on poverty,

caste, and employment, issues such as dowry and sati, popu-

lation control and female feticide, sexuality, and domestic

violence. Its agenda has not, generally, included disability.

Critical feminist analysis of disability in India was initiated

by, among others, Renu Addlakha (Addlakha, 1998, 1999,

2001, 2005, 2006; Addlakha & Das, 2001; Davar, 1999;

Dhanda, 2000; Ghai, 2002a, 2002b; Hans, 2003). These fem-

inist scholars challenged the disability movement and the

women’s movement.

An idea common in India is that disability represents a

personal flaw. Able-bodied people are the “corporeal stan-

dard” (Kumari, 2009), and—from a moral perspective—

disability arises as a consequence of karmic misdeeds:

Impairments are deserved and intrinsically punitive. Two

other perspectives on disability are also common. From a

charity or welfare perspective, disability speaks to an idea of

victimhood with which campaigners against violence against

women are familiar. The individual with disability deserves

sympathy and is dependent on the assistance of others. From

a biomedical or rehabilitative perspective, disability encom-

passes defects that require clinical intervention. Pervasive as

they are, these models are outmoded in disability discourse.

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons

With Disabilities (UN CRPD) recognizes that disability can

be seen as a collection of hindrances to participation in soci-

ety, a product of the interaction between people with impair-

ments, attitudinal, and environmental barriers. This model

locates disability in relation to structures rather than with

the individual. A rights-based model broadens this position

by promoting acceptance of diversity through nondiscrimi-

nating environments and inclusive social processes, to level

the playing field by tackling the visible privileges of the

able-bodied. Finally, in a cultural model, disability repre-

sents a pervasive system that, through stigmatization of

impairment, informs our notions of self, family, society, and

sexuality. Garland-Thomson argues that the system defines

XXX10.1177/2158244013499144SAGE OpenDaruwalla et al.

research-article2013

1

Society for Nutrition, Education, and Health Action, Mumbai, India

2

UCL, London, UK

Corresponding Author:

David Osrin, UCL Institute for Global Health, Institute of Child Health, 30

Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK.

Email: d.os...@ucl.ac.uk

Violence Against Women With Disability

in Mumbai, India: A Qualitative Study

Nayreen Daruwalla

1

, Shruti Chakravarty

1

, Sangeeta Chatterji

1

,

Neena Shah More

1

, Glyn Alcock

2

, Sarah Hawkes

2

,

and David Osrin

2

Abstract

We conducted open-ended interviews with 15 women with disability who
had reported violence in a preceding survey.

Emergent themes included a lack of acceptance by families, the
systematic formation of a dependent self-image, and an

expectation of limited achievement. Emotional violence was
particularly emphasized, as was perceived structural violence

stemming from social norms, which led to exclusion and vulnerability.
Violence in the natal home was an issue that had been

relatively uninvestigated.

Keywords

violence against women, India, Mumbai, disability

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 3

2

SAGE Open

the relationship between bodies and their environments and

prescribes a set of practices that produce both the able-

bodied and the disabled (Reproductive and Sexual Health

Issues, 2010).

If women with disability do not physically measure up to

able-bodied standards, neither does society expect them to

do so. In many cases, they are not expected to adopt the roles

of wife and mother. Women with disability do not, however,

quietly acquiesce to this. They may struggle against negative

stereotyping in an attempt to develop a positive sense of self

within bodily and societal limitations, a struggle that does

not often leave space for celebration of difference and pride

in one’s individuality (Addlakha, 2006). In a series of narra-

tive interviews with young people with disability, gender

was a defining element of the disability experience, but

meshed with elements such as class and caste, family com-

position and dynamics, and geographical location. Experience

of segregation and inclusion influenced informants’opinions

on marriage and family life and their social behavior, and,

although the charity model of disability was slowly giving

way to a human rights model, the transition was far from

complete (Addlakha, 2007). This study presents the findings

of a series of follow-up interviews with women with visual

or locomotor impairment.

Method

Setting

The study was carried out in Mumbai by the Society for

Nutrition, Education and Health Action (SNEHA), a non-

governmental organization. It was one of the three—in India,

Bangladesh, and Nepal—that formed a project on under-

standing violence against marginalized women in south Asia

(Dutta, Weston, Bhattacharji, Mukherji, & Joseph, 2012).

Design and Procedures

During an initial survey interview, we asked women who

reported an experience of violence if they would be interested

in participating in a later in-depth interview. We were able to

generate a subsample within the strata used for the survey.

Two pilot interviews were carried out to develop a better

understanding of the process, and subsequent interviews were

conducted by four senior researchers. Beginning with a topic

guide to key areas of interest, respondents were asked to

recount instances of violence and locate them within their

wider experience. The guide included open-ended questions

about the respondent’s self-perception (e.g., her body image

and personality), family environment and social networks,

sources of psychological and social support, perspectives on

life as a woman in India, the idea of violence, experiences of

violence, and responses and coping strategies. Interviewers

used spontaneous probes to clarify information and to explore

in more detail other aspects of respondents’narratives.

Data Management and Analysis

Each woman was interviewed once, at a location of her

choice, typically in her home or accommodation, an office,

or—less frequently—a public space. We took written con-

sent. Interviews lasted an average 70 min, were digitally

recorded and transferred to secure files on a password-pro-

tected computer. Original audio recordings were deleted

after transfer and access was restricted to the study coordina-

tor and data analysts. Interviews were transcribed verbatim

and translated into English (Easton, Fry, & Greenberg, 2000;

McLellan, MacQueen, & Neidig, 2003), following a pre-

defined protocol to ensure consistency of transcription.

Transcripts also included the researcher’s observations of the

interview setting, the reactions and behavior of the respon-

dent, reflections on the interview process, and additional

information not captured digitally. Respondents’ names and

other identifying information were removed or replaced with

pseudonyms. Transcribed, anonymized interviews were

imported into NVivo version 7 qualitative data analysis soft-

ware (QSR International), on a secure computer. The master

list was prepared with anonymous codes and was stored in a

locked cupboard.

The analysis was carried out through a series of meetings

and online discussions that emphasized the extraction of

themes from the data. We followed an iterative process, using

findings from initial interviews to inform subsequent lines of

inquiry. We examined the qualitative data using a framework

approach, incorporating some principles of grounded theory

for initial coding (Green & Thorogood, 2004; Lacey & Luff,

2007). From the outset, members of the research team read

and reviewed the transcripts of all the interviews to familiar-

ize themselves with the data. We kept analytical notes on our

reflections on them, to include in the analysis and to inform

further data collection. We developed an initial thematic

framework from both a priori and emerging issues and used

open coding to identify, examine, compare, and categorize

individual pieces of data. We followed this with axial coding,

whereby the codes and categories were rearranged to look for

connections and associations between them (Strauss &

Corbin, 1990). The involvement of multiple researchers

helped us question our coding framework, propose new

codes, and offer alternative interpretations (Barbour, 2001).

As a result, we were able to refine our framework as further

data were collected, discussed, and analyzed. These data, in

the form of summaries and interview extracts, were copied

into a table to compare and contrast themes and categories

across cases. We then used this information to write a series

of more detailed descriptions, interpretations, and explana-

tions of our main findings. We used an ecological framework

to conceptualize women’s experiences of violence (Heise,

1998; Krug, Mercy, Dahlberg, & Zwi, 2002). Designed to

understand the origins of gender-based violence, the frame-

work emphasizes the reciprocity between people and their

environment, recognizing the complex interplay between

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 4

Daruwalla et al.

3

personal, situational, and sociocultural factors. It considers

individual development and personality, interactions between

individuals and the subjective meanings they assign to them,

the formal and informal social structures that influence an

individual’s environment, and the broader cultural values and

beliefs that permeate and inform the other levels.

Research Governance and Ethical Issues

The study was overseen by a steering group and approved by

the joint Institutional Ethics Committee of the Anusandhan

Trust and the University College London Research Ethics

Committee. We prespecified in the study protocol that partici-

pants should freely choose to be involved, at a time and place

of their selection, and could withdraw at any time. Interviewers

were trained in discussing sensitive issues and mechanisms

put in place for referral for support. The research team identi-

fied organizations that would be accessible to participants and

could provide timely and appropriate services. Investigators

were equipped with the contact details of organizations across

Mumbai who had consented in writing to accept referrals. All

such referrals were documented and followed up to meet the

requests made by respondents. A protocol was followed for

action in cases of violence, abuse, or distress. Clarity on the

responsibility of the researcher for inadvertently provoking

any action by respondents was also established.

Results

We interviewed 15 women with disability. Twelve had visual

impairment, 2, locomotor impairment, and 1 had both. Eight

were between the ages of 18 and 30, four were in their thir-

ties and three were older. Five were married. Ten women

were Hindu, 4 Muslim, and 1 was Christian. Five came from

poorer socioeconomic strata, 4 lived in hostels, and others

lived with their natal or marital families. Two had not had

any formal schooling, 3 had attended up to the 10th standard,

and 10 beyond. Nine did not have a job, although 1 of them

ran a small home-based business, and 2 others were learning

vocational skills.

Childhood and the Self

Many of the respondents had grown up around able-bodied

siblings and friends and described their childhoods as “sta-

ble.” Some reported not being particularly aware of their

impairment in childhood, and interacting with their siblings

on an equal footing. As they grew older and were influenced

by other people, however, they began to feel different.

We [brother and I] used to play with friends’children around us.

I never thought I was blind. But only when my father used to say

when I passed from one room to the other, when his friends used

to come he used to say, “She can’t see.” I did not know English

much, but there was some association. Because whenever I

passed my father used to say this. But what is that “she can’t

see” I could not understand, but there was some association with

that. But I didn’t know what it was. (D03, 50 years, visual

impairment)

Most of the women with visual impairment had attended

“sighted” schools with teachers who were supportive of their

needs. In contrast, women with locomotor impairment

reported feeling more isolated and had their schooling dis-

rupted because of the need for medical treatment and time in

hospital. Institutional discrimination in the form of unequal

access to education was reported by a few respondents who

struggled to gain admission to regular schools or to take

exams. This was usually due to an inability to accommodate

the girl’s needs, a fear that she might have an accident, or

concerns that “she won’t be able to keep up with the normal

students.” In the family environment, women described early

experiences of feeling “not accepted,” first, because of gen-

der, and then because of disability: “When I was born there

was no acceptance. First of all she is a girl, and then she is

blind.” They described how their parents’ disappointment at

having a daughter was compounded by the discovery that she

also had a physical impairment:

I was born normal but [even] from then only I was not accepted.

Before me [were] three daughters, so there was no happiness, no

enthusiasm when I was born. Then, when I was two or one-and-

a-half years, I got polio. After getting polio I was completely

unacceptable. Completely unacceptable. They did not accept me

and then they sent me away to my maternal grandmother’s

house. (D08, 43 years, locomotor impairment)

Few of the respondents reported severe physical violence

during childhood. Although being hit on the legs by a teacher,

smacked by a mother for disobedience, or being yelled at by

a father were events that “put a lot of fear into us,” they were

considered “very, very minor incidents of violence.” More

common were neglect and verbal abuse, at home and at

school, largely driven by attitudes to disability.

My mother and father did not pay me much attention. Sometimes

my aunt would look after me. When I fell ill, she admitted me to

the hospital but no one from my family came to look after me.

(D14, 20 years, locomotor and visual impairment)

The impact of such events on women’s self-perception

meant that some “began to believe it.” While some parents

took measures to protect their daughters from accidents, oth-

ers denied them the opportunities enjoyed by other siblings

because they “did not see the need for me to go out or have

things.” Derogatory comments from peers and family

reflected a belief that disabled children were incapable and

unemployable:

In my childhood, there were comments I faced from my family.

It was verbal. I remember [my father’s sister] used to call me

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 5

4

SAGE Open

“phutki” [damaged] . . . In school also we had to listen to

comments like, “Blind people are going to become beggars

only—that is your future.” So that used to make us feel like,

really we are not capable of anything . . . ” (D01, 30 years, visual

impairment)

Parents who felt that a daughter with locomotor impair-

ment was of little use seldom offered encouragement or con-

sidered ways in which they could help her overcome the

challenges of living with her impairment. In extreme cases,

parents thought that disabled daughters were better off dead:

[My father] felt what should he do with me, she is very nice,

but what to do with her? They never thought about me in a way

that I could do anything on my own and that we can help her to

do that. They could not understand that responsibility. They

never wondered what I want to do; they did not think that I

would be able to do anything. He used to feel that dying was

the best possible option for me. (D08, 43 years, locomotor

impairment)

Less extreme measures for dealing with the stigmatizing

effect of having a disabled child in the family included keep-

ing her out of sight:

I remember my father’s sister . . . she was very bad. When guests

would come she would not let me come out, I could not meet

them. She would make me sit in one corner. She would not let

me go in front of the guests so that they would not come to know

that there is a blind child in the house. (D01, 30 years, visual

impairment)

Sexual “misbehavior,” usually by members of the

extended family, was not unknown and ranged from “gaz-

ing” to inappropriate touching. Episodes of sexual violence

often went unreported, either because parents disregarded

them or because they held their daughters responsible. In

situations where the abuse was likely to continue, some

women had felt that their only option was to leave home:

I don’t go home now. My Mama’s [maternal uncle’s] gaze was

not good. I tried to inform my mother but she just wouldn’t listen

to me. I also told my grandparents in Bombay about my Mama.

They told me to stay away [from him]. I haven’t gone home now

since eighth standard. (D12, 24 years, visual impairment)

Importantly, in the context of childhood, sexual violence

was constructed not only as the act itself, but also in terms of

the unwillingness of parents to acknowledge it:

By seventh or eighth standard . . . there were instances of

[sexual] misbehavior with me [at home] around that time, but I

could never share. When it first happened I told my mother

about it, but she said that it must be my fault that it happened. So

after that I never told her anything . . . when someone misbehaves

with you and you tell your family and they don’t believe you,

that is also violence. Both are violence: the misbehavior and the

not believing. (D10, 20 years, visual impairment)

Many of the experiences in childhood continued into

adulthood. Accounts of physical abuse and mistreatment in

adulthood were less common, though, than other forms of

violence. In light of a widespread popular belief about physi-

cal violence that “such things happen in all families,” the

focus on articulating other forms of abuse suggested that

women found them equally distressing. The anticipation of

possible physical violence, especially within the marital

home, the temporal nature of injuries caused by it, and the

incomprehensibility of inflicting psychological, emotional,

and economic violence on a wife might explain why respon-

dents emphasized them in their narrative accounts. When

physical violence did occur, it was usually in a milieu of

emotional, psychological, and economic violence.

Respondents’ constructions of their identities were influ-

enced by social constructions of disability, their own experi-

ences of living with a physical impairment, and the attitudes

and behavior of those they interacted with. Emotional, psy-

chological, and physical self-violence could not be under-

stood as isolated acts; they were as much impacts as they

were behaviors. Self-defeating beliefs and negative con-

structions of the self were common, particularly among

women who had endured persistent physical or psychologi-

cal violence. Being constantly spoken down to or treated as

disabled tended to lead to an internalized stigmatization of

one’s own disability. Feelings about the impact of their phys-

ical impairment on their family, and being made to feel a

burden, led some women to self-blame and a sense that “I am

the problem.” Within marriage, strategies to deal with the

pressure of bearing children, together with fears about them

inheriting an impairment, included anticipating separation

from the husband to bring up a child alone.

At least three respondents reported contemplating or

attempting suicide. One was motivated by the fact that her

family had considered her disability so undesirable (beside

her gender) that her father had wanted her to die, and another

explained that

. . . if I was a burden on everyone, if I was causing all my loved

ones so many problems I should just go away from the scene.

Then I attempted to kill myself but it was my misfortune that I

survived. (D08, 43 years, locomotor impairment)

Intimate partner violence

Women’s experiences of domestic violence included emo-

tional and verbal insults, withholding money, threats of aban-

donment or physical violence, and actual physical violence.

They were rarely one-off occurrences and typically involved

a combination of several types of violence over a period.

Spousal alcohol use, forced marriage, disputes with in-laws

and the tendency for husbands to take their mothers’ side,

and suspicions of infidelity were described as key factors.

Although the respondents themselves did not perceive their

disability as a causal factor, it was an additional dimension to

their experiences of violence:

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 6

Daruwalla et al.

5

My husband drinks. He never paid the rent of the house we were

living in. For 1 year he did not give rent and all the things in my

house were taken away. I lost everything I had brought from my

maternal home. Is this the way to manage a married life? . . . You tell

me, does he have no responsibility? I have been married to him for 9

years. I was 17 years of age. I was blind and my parents were in a

hurry to get me married off. He is a sighted man. When he married

me he knew I was blind. Then why did he marry me if he can’t

behave properly towards me? (D11, 28 years, visual impairment)

The most vulnerable women seemed to be those who

were married off at an early age by parents who no longer

wanted to take responsibility for them or were concerned

about their ineligibility as wives: the families of able-bodied

men often had strong reservations, such as a belief that the

marriage would fail, “a fear of the unknown,” or the percep-

tion that a disabled person’s home is a “sad house.” These

stigmatized attitudes sometimes continued after marriage:

Right from the beginning, she [my mother-in-law] and her

family were against their son marrying a blind girl. There was no

acceptance . . . My mother-in-law told them [her family], “She is

not married to my son.” (D11, 28 years, visual impairment)

The husband’s authoritative role in the household was a

commonly described feature of marital relations, and even a

supportive husband “keeps control of everything.”

My husband keeps control of everything. Sometimes he will ask

me to spend. My daughter got married. I wanted to give

something to her. She wanted a pair of bangles. I said we will

give her. When there is a need and there is a happy occasion we

should give her. If we can’t give at this time then what is the

point of having that money? I felt very bad. At that time I

couldn’t give her anything. She spent her money. Having my

own income I couldn’t give. I felt very bad. It’s a feeling of

complete helplessness . . . (D03, 50 years, visual impairment)

Minor marital conflicts, quarrels, and attempts to hurt each

other emotionally were not usually considered violent, although

physical violence was more likely if a wife’s behavior trans-

gressed acceptable gender norms or caused suspicion:

. . . He beat me up till I was bruised. He had never beaten me

like that before. We used to have verbal quarrels but this was

very bad . . . When he got suspicious of my friend he beat me up

very badly . . . He had never beaten me like this before. He

dragged me out of the house and beat me. I was in a state of

panic and shock. (D11, 28 years, visual impairment)

Violence in the natal family

Respondents were vulnerable to violence from natal families

in a variety of ways. Women who had defied their family’s

wishes—for example, by marrying across religions—

described suffering psychological and physical violence,

typically from a father or brother. Although it was difficult to

know the degree to which disability might have been related

to the violence, it was evident that gender and physical

impairment were used to make violent threats:

They started hitting me. At that time I was sitting on this slab

with wheels and I fell down. When I got up, they hit it again and

it went towards the steps, but I stopped it. I would have got hurt

. . . My youngest brother said that they could harm me more than

this, they would harm my child also, and told me not to complain

to the police, they also told me that they had more strength than

me. (D08, 43 years, locomotor impairment)

Other forms of family violence included abandonment

and exclusion. Women perceived the stigma associated with

their impairments and the resulting social exclusion as acts

and impacts of violence, as they caused them to be and feel

excluded. Similarly, women who were deprived of agency

experienced a reinforced sense of “being” disabled and feel-

ings of isolation and helplessness:

When [my brother and his wife] go out they don’t take me. They

leave me back, alone [starts crying]. They just leave me and go

away. When I tell them they say, “We will not take you. What

will you do?” There is nothing I can do. They do go away

leaving me here . . . [They say], “I don’t like to take you out with

me. I won’t take you.” I am alone. I don’t have a choice. If I had

a choice I wouldn’t live in this house. But I don’t have a choice.

And they make sure that I realize that. [They say] “Aye, you are

handicapped. Do as I tell you. Eat what we tell you to. Live like

we tell you to.” Kabool [I accept]. There is nothing I can do,

right? When my father was alive, all of us brothers and sisters

did everything together. I never felt I was handicapped [crying].

I never felt like that. But now every moment they make me feel

that I am handicapped. Now I have begun to feel that, yes I am

handicapped. (D07, 57 years, locomotor impairment)

Stigma was typically related to being ashamed of having

a disabled person in the family or being “worried about what

people will say.” Discrimination often originated from the

common belief that disabled people “don’t have the capac-

ity” to do things, or the view that, “she is blind so she is use-

less.” The notion that disabled people are more prone to

accidents led some parents—albeit with genuine concern

to protect their daughters—to deny them the opportunity to

learn mobility techniques or travel by train, even if they

expressed a desire for independence. Exclusion from family

affairs often continued into adulthood. Besides a feeling of

neglect, this was interpreted as ostracism:

[My younger brother and his family] never say, “She is a

member of our family. And this is a family function so she must

be taken along.” The fact that you [younger brother and his

family] don’t take me along means that you don’t consider me

a part of your family. You neglect me . . . My brother’s son came

from the US. Everyone went to the hotel to eat. They did not

take me. Why? Because his wife told them, “I feel ashamed of

her.” So everyone left me and went to the hotel. And I understood

that they do not consider me family. (D06, 57 years, locomotor

impairment)

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 7

6

SAGE Open

Experiences of violence from family members did not

depend on physical acts or overtly abusive behavior, and

were often more subtle:

[My family] would never say a word, an abusive word, but they

made you feel like that . . . You can make out in the way someone

welcomes you and even if someone does not welcome you but

just negates you. Negating you is just terrible. And then on my

birthday, to come and wish me happy birthday when they

negated me at every other time. When no one has even spoken to

me before my birthday for 4 days, especially when my heart is

dying to talk to you, to be loved by you, then how would I feel?

(D08, 43 years, locomotor impairment)

Violence in public spaces

Physical challenges and perceptions of women with disability

as defenseless made them easy targets. Verbal and physical

sexual harassment by strangers occurred in public spaces,

trains, and buses. Women were vulnerable to exploitation

because of their dependence on others for support and, possi-

bly, as a result of men perceiving them as sexually available:

Harassment happens in public. People have behaved badly [with

me] while traveling in public transport. Or under the excuse of

helping me people have done weird things. Even in private

transport there is harassment. Recently an incident happened

and so I remember. I took an auto to reach college and just at the

gate of the college he [rickshaw driver] touched me here [points

to her breasts]. (D10, 20 years, visual impairment)

Behavior that would usually be unacceptable in public

might be spuriously legitimized by the need to “help”:

. . . In most cases, the men, they hold our hand, they run their

fingers over us. When we tell them to hold the stick, they say

directly, “Why don’t you let us hold your hand?” . . . Then

sometimes they touch us, put their hands around our shoulders

while passing us or crossing us. They sometimes make dirty

comments. (D01, 30 years, visual impairment)

Violence from society

Discrimination targeted specifically at disability was inherent

in many of the respondents’ narratives. Structural forms of

violence included inequalities in access to work opportunities

in private or public institutions, and some respondents had

been denied jobs and social support. General discriminatory

attitudes of potential employers toward women with impair-

ments were often explained as concerns that they would not

be able to “keep up” with colleagues, would be less produc-

tive, or would be incapable of completing the work.

The government departments that I have had to work with

initially were resistant and didn’t want to take me on . . . I would

always be confronted with questions, “What can you do? Why

are you here?” (D05, 35 years, visual impairment)

In the absence of accommodating environments and facil-

ities for people with disability, women were usually expected

to manage on their own. They often felt that requests and

complaints were met with indifference or were not taken as

seriously as they would have been if they had not had an

impairment.

I was searching for a job as well as pursuing some courses I

thought would be useful. However, the response I heard from

people made me feel that there is no use to all my education. I

began to feel that blind people have no option but to keep

studying all their life. Despite having education nobody wants to

give a job to blind people. (D01, 30 years, visual impairment)

Some women perceived that institutional discrimination

was directed at their disability more than their gender:

Usually the police are very rude and indifferent to the blind

person. Suppose something happens, then the police will say to

the blind person, “How will you recognize a person? How can

we catch the person?” (D03, 50 years, visual impairment)

Disability was an additional layer of violence on top of

widespread gender bias, a double-discrimination. Respondents

felt that people often assumed them to be incapable of doing

everyday activities, fulfilling expected gender roles and par-

ticipating in education or work life. This perception included

the belief that they were “dumb” and not to be taken seriously.

Some people also considered women with disability to be a

burden, or as individuals deserving pity or sympathy:

I think people feel that if you are a girl and you are blind, you

have no brains and you cannot understand anything. I mean, I

don’t know, how do they think like this? There is no respect.

And the opinion about girls is also not great to start with. Then

they wonder how will a girl accomplish anything? So in the

context of a blind girl this factor of what will she achieve in life

is very high. Then they say, “Arre arre, bichari [oh, poor thing]

. . . She looks beautiful but she is blind.” And I feel, what is the

connection between looking beautiful and being blind? (D10, 20

years, visual impairment)

The impact of violence

Naturally, physical violence led to a fear of further beatings

and a sense of vulnerability. Social exclusion and isolation

from the family, neglect, and being made to feel a “burden”—

“I am the problem”—led to psychological and physical dis-

tress, and more than one respondent had attempted suicide:

I become hysterical. The thought stays in my head—it doesn’t

go away. I keep thinking, they are neglecting me, they are

neglecting me. My blood pressure rises. I try very hard but the

thought doesn’t leave my head. My nature is like this. I cannot

change it. I feel really very bad. I cannot control myself. Life is

miserable. Nobody is fighting for me. (D07, 57 years, locomotor

impairment)

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 8

Daruwalla et al.

7

Notions of disability that reduced women to deficiencies

related to their physical impairment ran the risk that, “one

then doesn’t want to try, and becomes quiet and loses inter-

est.” These attitudes played an important role in influencing

how respondents viewed themselves and what they felt they

were and were not able to do. Although many felt that they

were capable of cooking and traveling alone, any negative

self-perceptions they held were likely to be further reinforced

by a lack of encouragement and autonomy:

I can do everything. I can even cook. I clean. I manage myself.

So how can I be handicapped? Let me give you an example:

breakfast and tea is made in the house for everyone. The same

breakfast and tea is made for me. So food is made for everyone.

They are not handicapped but food is made for them right? Then

why do they say to me that food and tea is being made for me

because I am handicapped? Then it takes on a different

implication: that we have to do it for you because you cannot do

it for yourself. (D07, 57 years, locomotor impairment)

Another effect was a reinforcement of beliefs such as “I

must be disabled.” The cumulative impact of attitudes and

behaviors was experienced in at least two dimensions. It was

detrimental to the woman’s self-confidence and was likely to

result in a deprivation of opportunities:

. . . Even a handicapped person has ability, and people treat

them in this way then a handicapped person will not want to

even use that much ability that she has. (D08, 43 years, locomotor

impairment)

While some women strove to prove themselves capable, or

to “be like normal women,” others restricted their mobility

and life choices.

It’s definitely restricting, it’s limiting. There are also certain

restrictions and limitations that I have also imposed on myself.

For instance, I have not . . . even though I have gone through

mobility training, I have not chosen to travel on my own, and so

I still have somebody who travels with me. So it is sometimes a

lot . . . anxiety-provoking, since I am dependent on somebody

for help. (D05, 35 years, visual impairment)

The pressure of proving oneself to be accepted and treated

with some degree of normality fell on the women themselves:

In experiences with education I decided that I have to prove

myself and my capabilities. Since I have a disability, I am left

with no option but to prove myself and I did that. So all the hard

work that I could do, I did, without complaining. So I coped

fairly well with my studies. (D01, 30 years, visual impairment)

Some women used problem-focused coping strategies to

carry out tasks that would usually be done by sighted people,

partly to prove themselves. Others worked to limit their

distress by accepting, for example, family requests to restrict

their mobility.

My sister-in-law says you are not supposed to take any unwanted

risks. That is the reason I don’t go out of the house. She also says

to avoid the risk. Till the moment it is possible to avoid the risk.

(D02, 38 years, visual impairment)

Discussion

In qualitative interviews with women with disability, the

common motifs were an idea of not being accepted by their

families, childhood formation of a dependent self-image, and

an expectation of limited achievement. Respondents’ con-

structions of their identities were influenced by social con-

structions of disability, their own experiences of living with

impairment, and the attitudes and behavior of those they

interacted with. Violence was rarely one-off, and usually a

combination of emotional and physical abuse over time.

Structural violence was a pervasive concern. Women’s narra-

tives were characterized by difficulties in resolving their

identities against concerted disapproval and internalized

guilt.

One of the central findings was the complexity of the idea

of violence. First, women who did not report physical vio-

lence nevertheless articulated many of their experiences as

violence, the most obvious examples being their descriptions

of the structural violence inherent in social norms. There is a

taxonomic challenge here: Is the concern of a woman with

visual impairment that she will not be able to complete a

PhD—because of logistic and social challenges—a violent

experience? At what point does the lived experience of ineq-

uity become violence, and is there a danger of the debate

becoming a competition for what counts? Second, we formed

the—somewhat provocative—impression that for some

women, the psychological effects of nonphysical violence

were more pervasive. Perhaps this reflects the general tolera-

tion for domestic violence in Indian homes (Special Cell for

Women and Children, 1997, n.d.). Women with disability

who had been physically abused nevertheless dwelt more on

the cognitive and emotional effects of marginalization and

on the ambiguities in their loved-ones’ attitudes: physical

assault is a nonambiguous form of communication.

By extension, the interconnectedness of forms of violence

causes problems in framing our idea of it. The ecological

model had the benefit of being simple to understand, but we

struggled to fit women’s accounts neatly within it. For exam-

ple, a suicide attempt is a clear example of self-directed vio-

lence, but it arises from negative ideation linked with low

self-worth, emotional violence and marginalization, and

broader social mores. To fail to acknowledge each of these

levels of violence would be to miss important contributors to

a woman’s well-being. It also has implications for recom-

mendations. Clearly, social change is necessary if we are to

validate the experiences of marginalized women and prevent

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 9

8

SAGE Open

violence against them: change at the level of policy, culture,

community, and familial behavior. What is more challenging

is to decide where to put the emphasis.

Women with disability often felt excluded from main-

stream activities. Growing up with impairment, many had

been left out of family functions, religious festivals, sports,

and extracurricular school activities. They had also been

teased and had limited numbers of friends. One of the out-

comes of a marginalized existence was invisibility, silence

being an epistemic form of violence. Women with disability

described experiences in which family members had negated

their identity or existence. This negation extends to all levels,

up to the Government, which responded only after nation-

wide protests from disability groups that they should be

included in a census and counted as citizens of India (Ghai,

2000a).

Most of the campaigns against violence have focused on

its occurrence in the marital home. Our findings suggest that

the supposedly protected environment of the natal home has

often been a site of violence. While women in general may

be prone to higher incidence of violence in natal homes than

their male siblings, women who are seen by their families as

different from the norm have faced particular violence in an

effort to minimize their perceived deviance. Our study shows

that women with disability faced violence in the form of

neglect, control, restricted mobility, forced marriages, and

lack of autonomy.

Conclusion

Women faced pressure from their natal families to conform,

and described experiences of having to “prove themselves

capable.” Gender roles frame women’s stay in their natal

homes as a precursor to their being given away to marital

homes. For women in general, and particularly for women

from marginalized communities, sustained efforts to pro-

mote independent living would go a long way in resisting

family violence. Campaigns around violence and laws pro-

tecting women from it, education and career guidance, sexu-

ality education, and housing schemes all need to be geared

toward equipping women to make life choices that protect

them from violence, live without fear of exclusion and dis-

crimination, and resist oppressive norms.

Acknowledgments

Our heartfelt thanks to all the individuals who agreed to take part in

the study, allowed us into their lives and shared information on sen-

sitive issues. We appreciate the support extended by nongovern-

mental organizations working with women with disability,

including National Society for Equal Opportunities for the

Handicapped (NASEOH), Apnalaya, National Association of the

Blind (NAB), Blind People’s Association (BPA), Able Disabled

All People Together (ADAPT). and key informants on disability

issues who gave us feedback on the process. We thank the institu-

tional ethics committee of the Anusandhan Trust for raising rele-

vant ethical questions that improved the quality of our research.

Archana Rednekar oversaw finances. Wasundhara Joshi, Executive

Director, and Priya Agrawal, Operations Director, provided high-

level support at Society for Nutrition, Education and Health Action.

We thank Geetanjali Mishra, Executive Director of CREA, for pro-

viding us with the opportunity to conduct the study.

Contributors

All authors contributed to the design of the study, criticized drafts of

the report, and read the final version. N.D., Sh.C., S.C. and N.S.M.

did the interviews. G.A. oversaw qualitative analysis. N.D., Sh.C.,

S.C., G.A., and D.O. wrote sections of the first draft of the paper.

D.O. was responsible for subsequent collation of inputs and redraft-

ing. S.H. conceived the study and was responsible for multisite

inputs. N.D. supervised the project and is guarantor for the paper.

Declaration of Conflicting Interests

The author(s) declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect

to the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.

Funding

The author(s) disclosed receipt of the following financial support

for the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article: The

study was one of three funded by CREA through a grant from the

Dutch Ministry’s MDG3 Fund.

References

Addlakha, R. (1998). Nisha: Who would marry someone like

me. In A. Bhaiya, & L. F. Lee (Eds.), Unmad: Findings

of a research study on women’s mental and emotional cri-

sis: The voice of the subject (pp. 60-93). New Delhi, India:

Jagori.

Addlakha, R. (1999). Living with chronic schizophrenia: An ethno-

graphic account of family burden and coping strategies. Indian

Journal of Psychiatry, 41, 91-95.

Addlakha, R. (2001). Lay and medical diagnoses of psychiat-

ric disorder and the normative construction of femininity. In

B. V. Davar (Ed.), Mental health from a gender perspective

(pp. 313-333). Delhi, India: Sage.

Addlakha, R. (2005). Affliction and testimony: A reading of the

diary of Parvati Devi. Indian Journal of Gender Studies, 12,

63-82.

Addlakha, R. (December, 2006). Body politics and disabled femi-

ninity: Perspectives of adolescent girls from Delhi (India).

Paper presented at The International Conference on a World

in Transition: New challenges to gender justice, Gender and

Development Network and Centre for Women’s Development

Studies, New Delhi, India.

Addlakha, R. (2007). How young people with disabilities concep-

tualize the body, sex and marriage in urban India: Four case

studies. Sexuality Disability, 25, 111-123.

Addlakha, R., & Das, V. (2001). Disability and domestic citizen-

ship: Stigma, contagion and the making of the subject. Public

Culture, 13, 511-531.

Ahmed-Ghosh, H. (2004). Chattels of society: Domestic violence

in India. Violence Against Women, 10, 94-118.

Barbour, R. S. (2001). Checklists for improving rigour in qualitative

research: A case of the tail wagging the dog? British Medical

Journal, 322, 1115-1117.

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from

Page 10

Daruwalla et al.

9

Davar, B. (1999). Mental health of Indian women: A feminist

agenda. New Delhi, India: Sage.

Dhanda, A. (2000). Legal order and mental disorder. New Delhi,

India: SAGE.

Dutta, D., Weston, M., Bhattacharji, J., Mukherji, S., & Joseph

Kurien, S. (Eds.). (2012). Count me IN! Research report on

violence against disabled, lesbian, and sex-working women in

Bangladesh, India, and Nepal. New Delhi, India: CREA.

Easton, K. L., Fry McCornish, J., & Greenberg, R. (2000). Avoiding

common pitfalls in qualitative data collection and transcription.

Qualitative Health Research, 10, 703-707

Ghai, A. (2002a). Disabled women: An excluded agenda of Indian

feminism. Hypatia, 16, 34-52.

Ghai, A. (2002b). Feminism and disability. Hypatia, 17, 49-66.

Goel, R. (2005). Sita’s trousseau: Restorative justice, domestic vio-

lence, and South Asian culture. Violence Against Women, 11,

639-556.

Green, J., & Thorogood, N. (2004). Qualitative methods for health

research. London, England: Sage.

Hans, A., & Patri, A. (Ed.). (2003). Women, disability and identity.

London, England: Sage.

Heise, L. (1998). Violence against women: An integrated ecologi-

cal framework. Violence Against Women, 4, 262-290.

Krug, E. G., Mercy, J. A., Dahlberg, L. L., & Zwi, A. B. (2002).

The world report on violence and health. Lancet, 360,

1083-1088.

Kumari, C. F. A. (2009). Contours of ableism: The production of dis-

ability and abledness. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.

Lacey, A., & Luff, D. (2007). Qualitative data analysis. National

Institute for Health Research Design Service for the East

Midlands. Yorkshire and the Humber, UK.

McLellan, E., MacQueen, K. M., & Neidig, J. L. (2003). Beyond

the qualitative interview: Data preparation and transcription.

Field Methods, 15, 63-84.

Reproductive and Sexual Health Issues. (2010). Sexuality and

disability in the Indian context. Working Paper. New Delhi,

India: Talking About Reproductive and Sexual Health Issues

(TARSHI).

Special Cell for Women and Children. (1999). Shades of courage.

A study on section 498A of the Indian Penal Code. Mumbai,

India: Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Akshara.

Special Cell for Women and Children (n. d.). Because the personal

is political: A documentation of the work of the Special Cell

for Women and Children. (1984-1994). Mumbai, India: Tata

Institute of Social Sciences in collaboration with Bombay

Police Commissioner.

Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (1990). Basics of qualitative research.

Grounded theory procedures and techniques. Newbury Park,

CA: Sage.

Author Biographies

Nayreen Daruwalla has a background in psychology and social

work. Her primary interest is in interventions to address gender-

based violence. She directs the SNEHA program on prevention of

violence against women and children.

Shruti Chakravarty has been working in the field of gender, sexu-

ality and mental health for the last 10 years in the non-profit sector

in India. She is a researcher, counsellor and social worker.

Sangeeta Chatterji has a background in social work and social sci-

ences. She is a researcher with an interest in violence against

women, gender, sexuality and non normative identities.

Neena Shah More has a background in social work. Her primary

interest is in community-based interventions to improve women’s

and children’s health, and she directs the SNEHA programme on

community resource centres.

Glyn Alcock is a researcher with a background in medical

anthropology and experience of international health and develop-

ment in Latin America, Africa, and India. His interests include

medical pluralism and health care provision, health-seeking

behaviour, and the use of mixed-methods to study urban health

issues.

Sarah Hawkes is a UCL Reader in Global Health and Wellcome

Trust Senior Fellow in International Public Engagement. She leads

a research group looking at the link between empirical evidence and

policy responses in sexual health.

David Osrin is a Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellow in

Clinical Science. His research focuses on urban health, particularly

of women and children in India.

by guest on September 3, 2013

sgo.sagepub.com

Downloaded from